• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

obecity

Reaction score
What’s the point of having the exposed wire engraving on the inside of the arms?
Agree. I just don’t understand it. Except on Argyle where the color way is so fantastic that exposed wirecore would take away from the look.

obecity

Reaction score
Yeah but don’t Rolex deliberately make their white gold watches a bit different from their steel ones so watch nerds know the difference (and 300 percent price increase)?
On the subject of Herbies looking a bit boring like wayfarers don’t we want our JMMs to look a bit different from ‘glasses for the masses’?
I’m a big fan of exposed engraved wiring and I think the effort is wasted if it can’t be seen in normal wear. If they’ve gone to the effort and extra steps of creating this attractive feature why not show it off?
File alongside the pointless cameo badge that the website goes on about like it’s a special feature but I reckon most people couldn’t care less about!
Agree on this too. Huzzah!

lsterling

Reaction score
Yeah but don’t Rolex deliberately make their white gold watches a bit different from their steel ones so watch nerds know the difference (and 300 percent price increase)?
On the subject of Herbies looking a bit boring like wayfarers don’t we want our JMMs to look a bit different from ‘glasses for the masses’?
I’m a big fan of exposed engraved wiring and I think the effort is wasted if it can’t be seen in normal wear. If they’ve gone to the effort and extra steps of creating this attractive feature why not show it off?
File alongside the pointless cameo badge that the website goes on about like it’s a special feature but I reckon most people couldn’t care less about!
I have a few pairs that don't have exposed wire and I like that a lot as well. Just depends on the pair and the wearer, I suppose.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another sales FYI - 1269 is having that free small case for every JMM purchase; given the many jumps in prices recently, this was enough for me to purchase at an "American" price (the majority of my JMMs from the past year were either used or from European vendors). Incoming (boring titanium) Jaggers in Ursa.

Regarding external exposed wirecore - for me, it depends on the colorway. I like exposed on Dark Havana, black, Reserve - basically the denser colors. I prefer it without on more translucent examples - Rover, Argyle, London, Burgundy, etc.

ColdinMN

Reaction score
Herbie in Arglye. Keep or pass?

EAD74900-916A-48ED-A5A4-E8E82A425A65.jpeg 0AF742D4-30B5-401D-B0CE-2E57DC62CFA4.jpeg

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone handled the Black Wolf colorway? Is it, like it looks to be, like a "cold color" version of tortoise? Seems pretty yum to me, specially with the exposed silver hardware. :drool:

Come on guys, no one handled the Black Wolf? Really? I thought you guys had handled just about everything JMM...

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say the more I see the Herbie, the less I like it.
May be in blue…

Curiously feeling the opposite, initially found them banal, but reevaluating them as I see fit pictures and how good they look.

Edit: No, that blue is so funky and cheap looking: I would never wear it.

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on guys, no one handled the Black Wolf? Really? I thought you guys had handled just about everything JMM...
I’ve got the Yellowstone in black wolf. I love it.
When I first saw the release pics I thought “wow - yet another black - yawn” till I saw a closer look and really liked the mottle effect. I actually wish it was a bit more obvious to take the frames a more obvious step away from wayfarer types. The exposed engraved wiring is really well done the way it’s inlaid - finally they make for a versatile frame as being near black they could work with ‘cool toned’ black and blue clothes but the ‘softer’ less harsh mottled colour combined with the brown lenses makes them ‘warmer’ and wearable with browns and earth tones too.

A lot of people on here dislikes the wolf medallion on the temple tip. I like it but it’s only on one side and it’s so small as to be barely visible. You’d certainly need perfect vision to be able to make out the wolf silhouette and even better to be able to read ‘Yellowstone 100 years’ around the rim.

Somebody posted pics a few pages back. I have some others incoming and will post these too when I get round to it.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got the Yellowstone in black wolf. I love it.
When I first saw the release pics I thought “wow - yet another black - yawn” till I saw a closer look and really liked the mottle effect. I actually wish it was a bit more obvious to take the frames a more obvious step away from wayfarer types. The exposed engraved wiring is really well done the way it’s inlaid - finally they make for a versatile frame as being near black they could work with ‘cool toned’ black and blue clothes but the ‘softer’ less harsh mottled colour combined with the brown lenses makes them ‘warmer’ and wearable with browns and earth tones too.

A lot of people on here dislikes the wolf medallion on the temple tip. I like it but it’s only on one side and it’s so small as to be barely visible. You’d certainly need perfect vision to be able to make out the wolf silhouette and even better to be able to read ‘Yellowstone 100 years’ around the rim.

Somebody posted pics a few pages back. I have some others incoming and will post these too when I get round to it.

Thats great info. Thanks! Looking forward to seeing a few pics of them in the wild.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads