• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Tangerine colourway on the Union. It looks something between Vermillion and Stingray: do we need all these flashy, cheap looking colourways?

Screenshot (1924).png

obecity

Reaction score

Excellent reference. I use Seinfeld references almost daily IRL (in real life). Sadly, fewer and fewer people understand such pop culture references. These whipper snappers nowadays!

Sorry for the off topic comment everyone, but I just had to get it off my chest.

Back on topic. I think that feller pulls of the Anita even though I’ve had it in my mind that it was intended for the chickies. I approve.

Deangelo1555

Reaction score
Likely more a refinement than a consistency issue. If you look at old pictures of Enzos they look a little smaller and thinner as well. The Pasolini when re-issued was larger and had wider temples (7 barrel hinge v 5 barrel). The Sandro looks a little bigger with the new temples. For a while they were putting a 2 on the reissues (ie Fontainebleau 2) but I haven't seen it lately.
I've noticed they have also started to update their hinge design. If you look at new Zepherins, the hinges are now different. I'd say this is as much to do with quality as it is to do with updating the look of their frames. Wider hinges means better strength over time.

Pakman161

Reaction score
I've noticed they have also started to update their hinge design. If you look at new Zepherins, the hinges are now different. I'd say this is as much to do with quality as it is to do with updating the look of their frames. Wider hinges means better strength over time.
I would also argue that this is another way to hopefully combat counterfeits.

Deangelo1555

Reaction score
New Tangerine colourway on the Union. It looks something between Vermillion and Stingray: do we need all these flashy, cheap looking colourways?

View attachment 2199609
To me it seems that JMM is intentionally diverging from the now mainstream look of its past catalogue and distancing itself from other brands that are copying it. However, their current execution falls short of expectations. While some of their new shapes are appealing, I’m not entirely on board with the direction they’re taking—especially the pared-back opaque acetates and narrower frames. Controversially, I actually think the brand is a little burnt out and has run out of ideas. Still great, just a bit stagnant and not wowing me like it did a few years back. I've been following JMM since 2015.

Last edited:

Deangelo1555

Reaction score
I would also argue that this is another way to hopefully combat counterfeits.
Yes very true. JMM is offically the new Moscot on Aliexpress. Its a shame really. I was shocked when the Chinese factories started copying JMM but they appear to be able to do anything these days. Gone are the days when a Lemtosh was a far as they went.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me it seems that JMM is intentionally diverging from the now mainstream look of its past catalogue and distancing itself from other brands that are copying it. However, their current execution falls short of expectations. While some of their new shapes are appealing, I’m not entirely on board with the direction they’re taking—especially the pared-back opaque acetates and narrower frames. Controversially, I actually think the brand is a little burnt out and has run out of ideas. Still great, just a bit stagnant and not wowing me like it did a few years back.

I still like the brand, and many new models look great to me, but some new colourways look cheap and redundant.

Of course it's not easy to design consistently excellent frames in amazing colours.

Deangelo1555

Reaction score
I still like the brand, and many new models look great to me, but some new colourways look cheap and redundant.

Of course it's not easy to design consistently excellent frames in amazing colours.
To maintain freshness, constant reinvention of your collection is essential. While some of the newer shapes achieve this, I find that the silhouettes appear somewhat underdeveloped, possibly intentionally, I don't know. Is that how things are trending now? Additionally, considering the use of less expensive acetate combinations, one wonders whether this shift is driven more by profit margins than by a commitment to creating exceptional eyewear. JMM now leans more toward being a sunglasses and fashion brand. The optical is very stagnant at the moment and the sunglasses seem very trend-focused—an unusual departure for them. Furthermore, they’re reintroducing a lot of shapes from their back catalog at the moment which is a bit boring for me.

mbf123

Reaction score
To maintain freshness, constant reinvention of your collection is essential. While some of the newer shapes achieve this, I find that the silhouettes appear somewhat underdeveloped, possibly intentionally, I don't know. Is that how things are trending now? Additionally, considering the use of less expensive acetate combinations, one wonders whether this shift is driven more by profit margins than by a commitment to creating exceptional eyewear. JMM now leans more toward being a sunglasses and fashion brand. The optical is very stagnant at the moment and the sunglasses seem very trend-focused—an unusual departure for them. Furthermore, they’re reintroducing a lot of shapes from their back catalog at the moment which is a bit boring for me.
Good points. As a company they probably look at it as - we have momentum, grow as fast as we can while we can. This puts it in conflict with their scarcity / limited quantity approach from before. I think the quote in some article was (paraphrased) you didn't want someone else sitting across the pool at Chateau Marmont to have the same glasses as you. The result is then re-issue all the old, good selling frames in a ton of new colors (or rebranded blacks and Havanas) while trying to create new frames that are just distinct or different enough.

speedracer124

Reaction score
How do people figure out a fair price to list their frames for sale, and where do you sell them? I don't have Facebook so is on here or eBay the only options?

I have a pair of black LF Rawlins from the Venice store VIP event so they're #199/200. I lost the cool case somewhere on vacation (rip), but have a brand new JMM leather case to include. They have prescription lenses but I also have the clear demo lenses and all papers, receipt, etc. Looking on eBay seems like there's a big range from $1500 all the way to $3395. Any advice or should I just put them up for bid?
Hi there, are you willing to sell to me? Do you ship to italy? thanks

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katywest335