• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

obecity

Reaction score
Price increase is inevitable and occurs for every kind of items and is subjected to the market rules.

But, frankly, it seems that they are overdoing at JMM: the last increase has just happened and already there are rumours about the next one.
I don’t want to contribute to all the scuttlebutt, but here’s what really chaps my a$$. All these hugely successful folx publicly talk about inequity and the evils of capitalism and then go and charge unfair prices for their product so they can increase their vast personal fortunes. LBH, these frames cost, what, 50 semoleons in labor and materials? That’s $940 in profit! That’s 95% profit!!!! That is greed, PURE AND SIMPLE!!!!! NOT OK! DO BETTER!

tweedlover

Reaction score
I don’t want to contribute to all the scuttlebutt, but here’s what really chaps my a$$. All these hugely successful folx publicly talk about inequity and the evils of capitalism and then go and charge unfair prices for their product so they can increase their vast personal fortunes. LBH, these frames cost, what, 50 semoleons in labor and materials? That’s $940 in profit! That’s 95% profit!!!! That is greed, PURE AND SIMPLE!!!!! NOT OK! DO BETTER!
So, why buy them?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I contacted every store, stockist, and even the man himself Jerome Mage. But want to say thank you to a fellow forum member for selling me their JMMxKLR Ripleys! The hunt is over and I gotta say thats half the fun of JMM.
View attachment 2191655

Congratulations.

Yes, the hunt is cross and delight, the more difficult the scouting, the more rewarding the find.

I would expect more colourways of the Ripley.

obecity

Reaction score
So, why buy them?
Excellent question. I’ve severely cut back. I only purchase if absolutely necessary. There are many frames I’d like to purchase, but I won’t because JJ is financially pounding his client base. This level of greed is truly shocking. IT’S NOT OK!

We’re getting into Cartier territory now. LBHH (let’s be honest here), Cartier is a bigger flex, as the young whipper snappers say, than JMM.

LuisedPicked

Reaction score
Excellent question. I’ve severely cut back. I only purchase if absolutely necessary. There are many frames I’d like to purchase, but I won’t because JJ is financially pounding his client base. This level of greed is truly shocking. IT’S NOT OK!

We’re getting into Cartier territory now. LBHH (let’s be honest here), Cartier is a bigger flex, as the young whipper snappers say, than JMM.
I agree, however, Cartier has only the brand (which is not insignificant), but in terms of quality, Cartier is inferior to JMM.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let Obecity rant about prices. That’s what he does say oh every several pages while reminding us what page he joined this bulletin board for JMM (Jacques Marie Mage). Then a few folks will say something he takes offense to, he vows to not come back for a period of time, but inevitably breaks that vow. It’s part of the activity and charm around these parts.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, Dita rules. Half the price, most of the quality, and they haven't hiked their prices in like 8 years? Made in Japan, available to try on in most major cities, excellent retro and sleezebag vibes. Worth a look for those getting priced out of JMM.

Pureneat

Reaction score
Honestly, Dita rules. Half the price, most of the quality, and they haven't hiked their prices in like 8 years? Made in Japan, available to try on in most major cities, excellent retro and sleezebag vibes. Worth a look for those getting priced out of JMM.
I’d say Cutler and gross aren’t far behind in design and build quality, but a lot less expensive.

Gordon_Shumway

Reaction score
Yeah its unfortunate. I have really been enjoying this brand for a few years now but the price tag was “high” enough to begin with for eyewear given its competition, but being that they had a small amount of styles that i could catch up to owning eventually i stuck with my love for the brand to this point that with so many new releases one after another and then higher price increases i have to really ask myself if its worth it…

Im sticking with it now, but if this go south and mainline frames get close to LF price territory then yeaaaaah i may consider a retreat and return to my old brands, Dita, Oliver Peoples, Cutler and Gross and even Persol. F It… lol

Cant wait to see JMM become Pappy Van Winkle of eyewear 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plus one to the Dita and C and G suggestions.
I have a pair of C and G for sale that just didn’t work for me but they’re matching JMM for around half the price and with the chunky acetate we all love. Established name brand too.

I have Dita Spacecraft in titanium and they’re just as good as my titanium JMMs for a third of the price. Great quality and a striking frame design.

I was ALMOST (famous last words) done with JMM anyway - just one slot to fill in my suitcase and holding out for more lapis but if they price me out of the market I’m cool with what I’ve got. Alternatively I may adopt a strict one in one out policy for any emerging releases that I just can’t resist but if NMM was to disappear tomorrow I’d be fine with what I’ve got.

obecity

Reaction score
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I seem to recall (perhaps I’m wrong) that Dita sold to some evil conglomerate a few years ago. Not Luxottica, but some other evil global corporation.

obecity

Reaction score
Plus one to the Dita and C and G suggestions.
I have a pair of C and G for sale that just didn’t work for me but they’re matching JMM for around half the price and with the chunky acetate we all love. Established name brand too.

I have Dita Spacecraft in titanium and they’re just as good as my titanium JMMs for a third of the price. Great quality and a striking frame design.

I was ALMOST (famous last words) done with JMM anyway - just one slot to fill in my suitcase and holding out for more lapis but if they price me out of the market I’m cool with what I’ve got. Alternatively I may adopt a strict one in one out policy for any emerging releases that I just can’t resist but if NMM was to disappear tomorrow I’d be fine with what I’ve got.
I am pretty sure I’m at the same place you are. I really binged these past few years on Jacques Marie Mage, so there is no pressing need right now. Too bad for you JJ, but for his operatives here right now gathering intelligence on his base, I have the freedom to say “take a long walk off a short rooftop” with your foul price increases.

thass_hot

Reaction score
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I seem to recall (perhaps I’m wrong) that Dita sold to some evil conglomerate a few years ago. Not Luxottica, but some other evil global corporation.
I think so. That's why some people from the brand founded Akoni.

obecity

Reaction score
Yeah its unfortunate. I have really been enjoying this brand for a few years now but the price tag was “high” enough to begin with for eyewear given its competition, but being that they had a small amount of styles that i could catch up to owning eventually i stuck with my love for the brand to this point that with so many new releases one after another and then higher price increases i have to really ask myself if its worth it…

Im sticking with it now, but if this go south and mainline frames get close to LF price territory then yeaaaaah i may consider a retreat and return to my old brands, Dita, Oliver Peoples, Cutler and Gross and even Persol. F It… lol

Cant wait to see JMM become Pappy Van Winkle of eyewear 🤦🏻‍♂️
Anything but Persol. That’s a Luxotica brand. You and all my friends here deserve better than Luxotica. (And if it does go to PVW (Pappy Van Winkle) level, I’ll probably be happy with that given my baller collection as the whipper snappers would say.)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
speedracer124