• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jackets for beginners - first this, then what?

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Uploaded with ImageShack.us Hey Styleforum, I own only one "nice" jacket - it's wool and navy and you can see the picture - and I love it and it goes with everything. But I need to own another. What would you recommend for a second jacket? I'm a teacher. My school doesn't require suits (though they're not unusual, and I'm saving up to buy one later), but I regularly have to attend kinda-formal occasions, so I would like a sports coat that could fit those at well. My present jacket does well. My ideas are: Just regular medium GREY wool,
tumblr_lac42nDHN21qaoecbo1_500.jpg
GREY HERRINGBONE, if it isn't too casual. Is it too casual?
tumblr_l7mbqeOeS31qboamso1_500.jpg
GLEN PLAID, something fine and not too loud, maybe something like this I guess
tumblr_l9mltaOQdd1qc6uifo1_400.jpg
Or, like, something like that! I want it to look good with as many other things as possible and in as many occasions as possible. I am concerned that herringbone automatically looks informal if I'm standing between other people in suits. And I wonder if glen plaid is too much. Hmm, hmmm. So THANKS for your help!
bigstar[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The middle one is useful. You could get the same cut and pattern in brown.

Solid gray wool is a waste. The plaid DB is hard to coordinate and looks like a suit.

I'd look into some more vivid patterns.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Forget greys. You need browns.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I think that is a personal preference.

No, it's sensible orthodoxy. Grey odd jackets are relatively rare for good reasons. First of all, they are more likely to be confused for suit jackets. Second, and more importantly, they shift the burden to your trousers to take on color. It is easier to build a wardrobe based on grey trousers than one based on grey jackets and multi-colored trousers, which will be harder to wear with non-grey jackets. Moreover, one's jacket tends to be a much stronger focal point than his trousers. If you wear grey trousers everyday, it will go completely unnoticed. A grey jacket everyday is far more conspicuous.

Of course, none of this will strike you as a problem if you are into outfit-collecting as opposed to wardrobe-building.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ very nice explanation!

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Second, and more importantly, they shift the burden to your trousers to take on color.

How so? are you implying that brown is "colour" or that brown is inherently more interesting, as a colour, than grey?

Also, can shirts and ties not provide colour?

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning, though I do not necessarily disagree with the conclusion.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Blue or brown jacket with gray pants = classic look, not conspicuous, accessorizible in infinite ways.

Gray jacket is harder. You can wear gray pants but they must be of a noticeably different shade. You also will look very ... gray. And you're not wearing a gray suit. I can work but it's not foolproof.

As to other colors, there is blue. Personally I hate blue trousers but some here wear them. Brown can look nice but doesn't work with as many coats. After that you have the funkier colors that can be fun but that are not 100% appropriate for all venues and occasions. I like green and red and such but they aren't nearly as useful.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
How so? are you implying that brown is "colour" or that brown is inherently more interesting, as a colour, than grey?

Both. Grey is technically not a color. But regardless, brown is also more interesting than grey because it is potentially far richer and deeper to the eyes: it can have many other colors mixed in and there are many, many different tones of brown to begin with. Take a look through a book of tweeds for evidence.

Also, from a more contextual perspective, consider that grey is the most popular choice for suit cloth. Wearing colored odd jackets helps to differentiate them.

Also, can shirts and ties not provide colour?

Sure, but you shouldn't count on them to do so alone. More often than not, they should blend in with your outfit. If everything else you wear is without color, and you use your tie or shirt to compensate, they will attract too much attention to themselves.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find my charcoal (very dark grey) cashco odd jacket very versatile. I pair if with medium or light grey trousers, and let shirt and tie do the colour job. Great jacket both for casual occasions and for work. Looks reasonable formal with a tie, and reasonably casual sans tie.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, hard to think of many jackets as versatile as thick grey donegal or grey herringbone jacket. No way in hell they could be mistaken for suit jackets either.

Now a glenplaid grey as shown in the OP sounds a bit off to me as a standalone coat. It really screams orphaned jacket.

The Gooch

Reaction score
Yes, but a brown donegal (especially one peppered with flecks of color) or herringbone is much more versatile.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Consider the following three phrases. "Rich, deep navy." "Warm, rich brown." "Deep, rich gray." You never hear the third.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics