• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jacket vents vs unvented

threadman

Reaction score
What is everyones opinion on suit vents? What factors determine whether to choose no vents, single vent, or side vents?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Single vents - for tweedier sportcoats and American sack suits only. And even then I don't like them. They aren't attractive and they aren't very functional unless you are riding a horse.

No vent - probably the best looking and definitely the least functional option. Non-vented coats tend to wrinkle something awful when you sit down with the jacket on.

Double vents - the best choice. They lengthen the line of the leg, your rear stays covered when you put your hands in your pockets, and they wrinkle the least when sitting down. The only problem with double vents is that Italian companies cannot seem to cut the vents so that they hang properly. They need to examine the double vents on a newer Oxxford suit and copy the technique.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They need to examine the double vents on a newer Oxxford suit and copy the technique.
I have a double vented Oxxford sportscoat, and indeed, the vents are exquisitely done. Can't imagine them doing such a thing on their older models, though, like the Owenstia.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i agree with mr. harris. eleven years ago i went to a party with my uncle. i wore a non-vented suit and he wore one with side vents. at the time vents were not something i considered when buying a suit, but after i saw him put his hands in his pockets, and how it didn't ruin the look of the jacket, i realized side vents were the way to go. many people will say the non-vented is more elegant, but that's for you to decide. i don't think it looks elegant to have your jacket bunch up when you sit down or put your hands in your pockets. stay away from the center vent though.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised this issue hasn't been addressed before.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy