• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket too short?

ram2195

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I recently had a suit made in Hong Kong and I asked for something on the trendier side, meaning a slimmer fit and a shorter jacket, but I'm worried the jacket is way too short. I'm assuming this one is unfixable since it's generally hard or impossible to lengthen a jacket, but maybe I can have them adjust the pattern for the next one. Any thoughts? Is it totally irredeemable? (also the camera angle is a little weird. It's taken from below my waist.

IMG_3942.JPG

IMG_3966.JPG

Reaction score
You're looking at 2-3 inches shorter than what most people would deem acceptable, so it's a toughie...from the perspective of a young Asian male I'm actually not too fussed, and I doubt most people on the street who have no idea about suits would even realise. But if you've spent good money on it (2500 HKD at least?), and you know yourself that it's a bit on the short side, then it's a matter of reconciling with the result I guess. There may be some other fit issues that I would be more worried about, but I'm assuming this was one of those fast-track bespoke services.

That being said I did get a suit made in Malaysia with horrible divots and overall fit, and managed to somehow persuade the tailor to remake it from scratch, so it depends :p The jacket length at the first fitting was exactly the same as yours, so the general consensus of trendy lengths in Asia seems to be ending at the wrist I guess.

unsuitable

Reaction score
I'm not trendy at all but I would add at least 2in as well to that jacket on the next order. If a man had a flatter rear-end he can get away a shorter jacket in my opinion - since the tail of a jacket sitting on the upper "slope" or the exact apex of a posterior abhorrent to the eye (in other words, the 3D effect of the jacket stopping mid-can).

This is the one thing that my tailor really "gets after me" on - I tend to find off-the-rack blazers (and the odd suit) that are too short and he will not let it go. I allow it because he is right - a deal is not a deal if it will not fit.

There will be no fixing this one, of course.

ram2195

Reaction score
You're looking at 2-3 inches shorter than what most people would deem acceptable, so it's a toughie...from the perspective of a young Asian male I'm actually not too fussed, and I doubt most people on the street who have no idea about suits would even realise. But if you've spent good money on it (2500 HKD at least?), and you know yourself that it's a bit on the short side, then it's a matter of reconciling with the result I guess. There may be some other fit issues that I would be more worried about, but I'm assuming this was one of those fast-track bespoke services.

That being said I did get a suit made in Malaysia with horrible divots and overall fit, and managed to somehow persuade the tailor to remake it from scratch, so it depends :p The jacket length at the first fitting was exactly the same as yours, so the general consensus of trendy lengths in Asia seems to be ending at the wrist I guess.

Thanks. I paid a decent amount to a fairly reputable tailor (i.e. not one of those Mody Rd tourist traps), and they do trunk shows in NY twice a year, so I'm thinking about trying to get them to remake it. Any other fit issues to note?

Here's another picture from a better angle.

IMG_3972.JPG

Reaction score
Thanks. I paid a decent amount to a fairly reputable tailor (i.e. not one of those Mody Rd tourist traps), and they do trunk shows in NY twice a year, so I'm thinking about trying to get them to remake it. Any other fit issues to note?

Here's another picture from a better angle.

View attachment 993927
It does look a lot better in the third picture. I'm really no expert at all so take it with a pinch of salt, but the trousers may not be cut to your posture, assuming you're standing naturally in the 2nd pic. I don't know what's causing the excessive wrinkling on the sleeves, could be an issue with the shoulder width? Otherwise I would go for shorter sleeves and a lower button stance, but that's all personal preference.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
It is quite hard to assess a suit based on images that do not show the entire body or are otherwise distorted (taken from head level, at close distance). This being said, I believe it is a tad short, but not laughably. Also, I prefer to go "classic" with my suits, and that means my glutes need to be covered in their entirety. So this opinion comes from someone who would not order a "trendy" suit.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First pic looks too short.

Never just ask for something "trendier." YOU need to specify what that means. Slimmer pants. Shorter jacket by how much. Etc. Don't leave it up to a tailor to use his/her interpretation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads