• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket tailoring question

markantony07

Reaction score
Hey I must say I am not exactly well versed in terms of fashion, etc. but I have a question I hope someone can help me. I went to a consignment store yesterday and saw a beautiful YSL black velvet blazer that i really love however it is WAY too big for me. Would it be possible for me to go to a tailor and have it altered to fit me?

nelly

Reaction score
Where is it too large? At the very least, the shoulders should fit.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If the shoulders don't fit well, don't bother it would be a disaster.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Agreed. If the shoulders don't fit well it will be a waste.

On another related topic be careful with the "fashion" brands. Lanvin, YSL and Dior (to name a few) are notorious for selling their name to lesser-quality mass producers in the 80s and 90s. If it appears to be a less modern cut or the material seems lacking you might have an entirely different set of problems.

Not sure your level of interest in investing in a jacket rather than simply acquiring one, but if it is an older YSL you may need to do some research to find out whether it is of a quality that will last you years or be back in consignment in 6 months.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you should be asking the local (alterations) tailors around you what they think, since they are the ones that would be doing it. Some of the people around here that replied have never even picked up a needle, much more altered any clothes.

To do it proper would cost some money. How much needs to be done may or may not be worth it. If it is cheap fused it won't last long. Years ago it was said 3 sizes up or down would work, but they don't make clothes like they used to (not really sure they could get 3 sizes up). The advantage of sizing down is you have the cloth to do it (they can all ways cut away), shoulders can be fitted better, armholes made smaller, etc. But some problems show up such as the breast dart being to long (to high), breast pocket to high, notch being to high, lower pockets to low.

Other than cost there are many advantages to go to a custom tailor.

shonuf323

Reaction score
If it is way too big all over then don't do it.

A good (very good) tailor MAY be able to bring the shoulders in, taper the body, adjust the sleeve length, taper the sleeves, adjust the body length, etc.. but even if they do a terrific job the jacket will just feel off. I have done this before and even though the jacket kind of fits me now and the tailor did a good job (this took 3 fittings to do) I view it only as an emergency jacket.

On the other hand if it generally fits except it is just loose in the body this is a no brainer and most tailors can handle this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads