• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket specifically for snowboarding?

binxb

Reaction score
I bought a Marmot shell the other day -- for hiking. A friend of mine said it's a snowboarding jacket. Does anyone know what would features a jacket specifically used for snowboarding would have? My friend was a little vague....

jkennett

Reaction score
What model of jacket is it? If it is a snowboarding specific jacket... who cares? It would probably have double layers of fabric at the elbows, armpit zips, be light-weight, snaps to connect your mits at the ends of the sleeves, and have an inner liner that is elastic at the waist to prevent snow getting in under the coat. All those functions aren't really snowboard specific, and the company isn't a snowboarding brand, so I wouldn't worry about it.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Marmot is an absolutely core, jackson-hole style, pinner, beard-and-granola ski brand. They have absolutely nothing to do with snowboarding. Like, less to do with the sport than Arc'teryx. No image-conscious snowboarder would wear it on the hill. It is a solid hiking jacket.

dshack

Reaction score
"Snowboarding-specific" basically means baggy. There are no features a boarder would need that a skiier wouldn't, and vice versa.

I board, and I can't stand the steezy styling on the slopes. I wear fitted Patagonia and Lowe Alpine gear.

jefe

Reaction score
Some items by other manufacturers (DC, Burton, Ride) have some snowboard specific features, however many of them are in the pants of an outfit rather than a jacket. Marmot is a mountaineering-oriented brand just like Patagonia, Arc'teryx, Cloudveil, OR, Black Diamond, Norrona, Mountain Hardwear, etc.

Nothing wrong with wearing Marmot to snowboard, it's just not popular amongst the x-games crowd. If the jacket is waterproof(ish), warm, and provides the freedom of movement needed, it's gonna work just as well as anything else for the slopes.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A stretchy 'skirt' under the jacket that hugs the pants to keep snow out of inside the jacket.

Straps in the arm opening meant to go between thumb and index finger to prevent snow from going up into sleeve.

unrated

Reaction score
Good replies so far. I'd make sure its fully-taped and at least 5000mm waterproof. Depending on what kind of conditions, you might even want Goretex, which is guaranteed to keep you dry. Some jackets have a pants interface, where they connect to your pants to produce a snow seal. Venting zippers are important, as well as a removable hood. My pants and jacket are Helly Hansen, so they interface real well with each other.

Brutus

Reaction score
First off if it's a shell it shouldn't look anything like a snowboarding jacket. The shell usually doesn't have any true insulating layer. Essentially it's a fancy rain coat. Shells are ment to be the outer most layer of many layers so that layers can be removed when the hiker/climber gets warm but will still remain dry because of the shell.

Originally Posted by sonick
A stretchy 'skirt' under the jacket that hugs the pants to keep snow out of inside the jacket.
I think this ^ is what really defines a snowboard jacket because you spend half your day scooping up snow on your butt. The stretchy shirt prevents the snow from making it's journey all the way up. Honestly, this is an absolutely necessity for new-to-snowboarding folks.

Originally Posted by unrated
Venting zippers are important, as well as a removable hood.

I'm not so much of a removable hood fan. When the conditions are really bad you'll really want that hood and might really regret having removed it at the car 4 miles back. I hear it's even possible that wind could blow the hood right off.

randomtw

Reaction score
anybody recommend any brands? I'm thinking about starting again after a particularly nasty fall that left me with a severely bruised tailbone

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
^ Ideally, look for anything with "3L" after it. If you're small, buy this. http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/out...cket-Mens.html If you're a L, this is a good call (in alloy, not Kuwait) http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/out...cket-Mens.html Generally, Sessions, Holden, Burton (and Analog) are all good. Orage and Helly Hansen are decent. Oakley has taken a downturn. Salomon outerwear is getting steadily better, but isn't there yet (and given what the brand is going through I don't know that the trend will continue).

jefe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Generally, Sessions, Holden, Burton (and Analog) are all good. Orage and Helly Hansen are decent. Oakley has taken a downturn. Salomon outerwear is getting steadily better, but isn't there yet (and given what the brand is going through I don't know that the trend will continue).

All good recommendations. Watch the sizing on some of this stuff if you want to avoid the steeze factor that's very popular in outerwear right now. **** is baggy for sure, but, in my opinion, snug fitting garments would not serve you well for snow sports.

Also the two best fabrics are Event and Goretex XCR/Proshell... Entrant and regular Goretex being close behind. All will function exceptionally. Patagonia's water resistant coating also has worked very well in my experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads