• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket sleeve buttons undone ... interesting example ...

john_sf

Reaction score
I'm in the camp that considers a button (or two) left unbuttoned on jacket sleeves to be tacky.

However, I think it's only a matter of time before leaving a single one unbuttoned evolves into "correct" or "proper" and this looks like the first step:

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/05/15/RTR2D74H.jpg

It's one thing for Mr. MBA at the hip bar to be doing it, but the CEO of GS has nothing to prove to anyone.

He might just be clueless in the style realm, but however you slice it, this is probably going to become the de facto standard.

Kitontini

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with leaving 1 button unbuttoned. I do it all the time. What's the point of having working buttons if you're not going to use them?

mjphillips

Reaction score
Originally Posted by john_sf
I'm in the camp that considers a button (or two) left unbuttoned on jacket sleeves to be tacky.

However, I think it's only a matter of time before leaving a single one unbuttoned evolves into "correct" or "proper"....

I don't think there is a "correct" or "incorrect" stance here; it's all personal preference. I mean leaving a button undone is a tad flashy, but nowhere near as flashy as say driving a Mercedes. Blankfein probably didn't even notice - appearing before a Senate/House committee one has bigger concerns....

evolsty

Reaction score
the CEO of GS has nothing to prove to anyone.

Usually when criminals are style leaders, they are cool. On the other hand, if he's not a criminal, he's just criminally ignorant. Either way, I doubt he's setting the style standard for anyone.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh jeez, here we go.

on a 100% fashion view point, i think it looks just fine, and often do the same on my surgeons cuff sleeves

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjphillips
I don't think there is a "correct" or "incorrect" stance here; it's all personal preference. I mean leaving a button undone is a tad flashy, but nowhere near as flashy as say driving a Mercedes. Blankfein probably didn't even notice - appearing before a Senate/House committee one has bigger concerns....

You live in NYC and consider driving a mercedes flashy?

Thousands of wealthy executives take plain black s550s to work every day. Not real flashy to me.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if someone left them all undone?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pieceofsand
What if someone left them all undone?

1BmHA.jpg

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

However, I think it's only a matter of time before leaving a single one unbuttoned evolves into "correct" or "proper" and this looks like the first step:

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/05/15/RTR2D74H.jpg

It's one thing for Mr. MBA at the hip bar to be doing it, but the CEO of GS has nothing to prove to anyone.

He might just be clueless in the style realm, but however you slice it, this is probably going to become the de facto standard.

you sound paranoid..............why read so much into this?

Do what you want and stop creating useless threads.

mjphillips

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
You live in NYC and consider driving a mercedes flashy?

Thousands of wealthy executives take plain black s550s to work every day. Not real flashy to me.

I indeed find Mercedes to be excessively showy, but this is obviously just my opinion. (Not all of them, mind you, I love the old SLs). Though if you walk by a bank/law firm here in town you'll see that the black cars lined up out front aren't MB or BMW, but plain old Lincoln Town Cars.

No one is looking to Blankfein for style, but the way the boss dresses has a way of trickling down....

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lets really think about this. Since ost of the people who would even notice this are SF types, and no one in Congress is an SF Type, maybe he was trying to exude an air of "I'm not as rich as everyone thinks, looks, I can't even afford all the damn buttons on my cuffs!"

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Lets really think about this. Since ost of the people who would even notice this are SF types, and no one in Congress is an SF Type, maybe he was trying to exude an air of "I'm not as rich as everyone thinks, looks, I can't even afford all the damn buttons on my cuffs!"

Maybe he was hoping that they would know that they're surgeons cuffs and by having one undone he was meaning to imply that his continued freedom and manipulations of the financial markets were as important as a skilled cardiovascular surgeon in a quadruple bypass.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I'm hammered drunk, I like to roll up my jacket sleeves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads