1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Jacket sleeve buttons - how many rule

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Happy Stroller, Jan 14, 2007.

1. The Happy Stroller

The Happy Stroller Senior member

I am a devout follower of sartorial rules.

Is there any general rule on how many buttons the sleeve on a jacket should have?

Would the rule, if there is one, be different for different kinds of jackets - formal vs. informal vs. business vs. others?

2. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

That subject is never brought up here! I don't hear any rules about it either. But from my observations...

-Four sleeve buttons are most common on any style of jacket.
    -Three sleeve buttons are second most common, I've mostly seen it on single breasted and dinner jackets.
    -Two sleeve buttons are very, very rare and you'll probably only ever see them on bespoke garments. I guess it COULD look okay if you got a one button jacket, but it's not something I'd encourage.
    -A single sleeve button will only ever be seen on dinner jackets... hopefully. I do think three might be better proportionate to a double breasted DJ though. Strongly advise against getting it on a suit or odd jacket.
    -Five?! Now, I've only seen this once but didn't like it at all. I can't remember who the guy was or where the picture was posted here, but it seemed very try-hard and the effect wasn't good.

Hope I could help a little. I'd really like to see others' take on this.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have three on sportcoats, four on suits and four on my blue blazer.

One is sort of traditional for old school informal sportcoats, but the button is usually larger than standard. Two was standard for Brooks Brothers for a long time. There was a gap between the buttons.

Five is just wrong.

4. nom_de_guerre

nom_de_guerre Member

When I had one of my suits made, the tailor told me that four buttons is more correct for formal suits.

When wearing bespoke suits or finer godd-quality suits there should be four buttons with four "functioning" button holes. To "show this" he spoke for leaving the button closest to the hand unbutonned...

5. Zegnamtl

Zegnamtl Senior member

This is too many! :--) this picture just does not want to load, perhaps it is all just too embarrassing! it was of a man with 6 buttons on his sleeve :--( [​IMG] 3, or 4 no more.

6. MrRogers

MrRogers Senior member

Gucci likes to line up 5-6 kissing buttons on their coats

Looks a little strange IMO

MRR

7. GBR

GBR Senior member

Whilst there are no such things as form sartorial rules - merely conventions from different eras which some swear bay and others at, four is the most appropriate number of buttons.

8. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Not exactly the subject but this is a related issued

The now decorative buttons on the jacket sleeves were some centuries ago allways functional buttons that ran up to the elbow in some cases ( and so the breaches also were buttoned up ) , so the wearer could be able to open wide his sleeve...

[​IMG]
    If now we have functioning buttons in the sleeve, doesn't make more sense if there is more space between the buttons, to be able to open wide the sleeve, why are the nowadays functioning sleeve buttons "kissing" ? Is because is just decoration also ?...

9. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Senior member

As others have mentioned, 4 is the most common and looks best on suits and 3, IMHO, look best on sportscoats. I like buttons to be non-kissing; I find the kissing thing a little "cramped", but that may just be me . . . .

10. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Kissing is my preference. Cascade or waterfall can look good if done right though. Spaced... not my cup of tea.

11. itsstillmatt

I have asked my tailor several times for one sleeve button on sportcoats, but he keeps saying no.

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

my preference is for 1 more than on the front, so 4 sleeve buttons on a 3 button jacket...2 button on sleeve for one button jacket.

I also prefer non-kissing. I agree about the 'it looks cramped' aesthetic

13. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

I have asked my tailor several times for one sleeve button on sportcoats, but he keeps saying no.
    That's something I have to agree with your tailors about.

14. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I wonder why. I always thought it was a common/desired option for casual sports jackets made in Naples. I think it looks very elegant as seen in the pic below:

15. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

16. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

The bespoke tailor I will begin using this spring offers options of two, three, and four sleeve buttons.

17. itsstillmatt

I wonder why. I always thought it was a common/desired option for casual sports jackets made in Naples. I think it looks very elegant as seen in the pic below:
    He thinks that it is a little too provincial. I think that Solito's looks terrible in that pic. The button should be of a slightly larger size IMO.

18. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

He thinks that it is a little too provincial.

In other words, one button is for farmer.

19. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

The bespoke tailor I will begin using this spring offers options of two, three, and four sleeve buttons.
    For formal wear as well? One button is acceptable for a dinner jacket.

20. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

He thinks that it is a little too provincial.

I think that Solito's looks terrible in that pic. The button should be of a slightly larger size IMO.

I see.

I like the look though. I think it it`s nice and simple and doesn`t require a larger button to look good.

1 person likes this.