1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Jacket: shoulders fit, tight chest vs. chest fits, too big shoulders...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay687, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Jay687

Jay687 Senior member

Which is the better option for OTR?

I have a fairly thick chest/back compared to my shoulders.

What fits well on my shoulders for a 36" will pull at my chest (measure 38").

Yet, when i go to 38" they are also adjusting for your entire frame to be larger, not just chest measurement. So, then the shoulders are a bit big.

Which comprise is best?

2. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Why not try a different brand?

Sounds like you have narrow shoulders for a 38. Some brands are cut narrower in the shoulder then others.

3. KingOfTheForum

KingOfTheForum Senior member

You can have the chest adjusted. Take that into consideration. I'd like to now just how over-sized the shoulders are and how tight the chest is.

4. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

neither.

if shoulder fits (a must) and chest is a little big, that is adjustable.

smaller chest on shoulder fits? not too sure how much you can let out, but it is trickier than taking in.

i would agree with the above, try another brand. some brands are just not made for you.

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

You can take the shoulders in, but it's much much easier to buy a good fit in the shoulders and adjust from there.

6. hobscrk777

hobscrk777 Senior member

I thought that any chest alteration - whether letting it out or taking it in - was quite difficult. Is this not true?

7. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

I thought that any chest alteration - whether letting it out or taking it in - was quite difficult. Is this not true?

I think it depends a bit on how near the armhole you are. If you're not too close, it should be essentially the same as taking in or letting out the waist. Letting things out always depends on how much seam allowance you have.

8. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

OP, you will want a roomy american brand, or one with an american-ish cut.

also, if you are large-chested, go for a 2B, which will be more forgiving -- a 3B may require closure at precisely the point of stress.

9. Darksid3

Darksid3 New Member

I agree with the others, try some other brands.

10. KingOfTheForum

KingOfTheForum Senior member

It's not very difficult to take in the chest. However, your movement will be severely restricted if too much needs to be taken in.

11. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

also, if you are large-chested, go for a 2B, which will be more forgiving -- a 3B may require closure at precisely the point of stress.

What makes you say this? Unless he's buttoning the top button, it's no different.

12. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

What makes you say this? Unless he's buttoning the top button, it's no different.

exactly.

13. S. Able

S. Able Senior member

You need to shop around a lot and pay attention to the different makers and models you are trying. Some of the Italian makers have relatively narrower shoulders. If you have a really, really good alterations tailor, you can remove the sleeves and narrower the shoulders. This is not cheap and has its risks, but I have had some sucess with it. The only other real option is custom/bespoke or good MTM.

14. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

Which is the better option for OTR?

I have a fairly thick chest/back compared to my shoulders.

What fits well on my shoulders for a 36" will pull at my chest (measure 38").

Yet, when i go to 38" they are also adjusting for your entire frame to be larger, not just chest measurement. So, then the shoulders are a bit big.

Which comprise is best?

I would stay with the 36 and have the chest and sides let out if need be, nothing looks worse then when the jacket is too big in the shoulders. You look like you do not know what size you are and it distracts from the intention of the outfit.

15. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

Hi,
    Nice post.. Keep it up......

You, too.

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

You need to shop around a lot and pay attention to the different makers and models you are trying. Some of the Italian makers have relatively narrower shoulders. If you have a really, really good alterations tailor, you can remove the sleeves and narrower the shoulders. This is not cheap and has its risks, but I have had some sucess with it. The only other real option is custom/bespoke or good MTM.

I've had this done by very good tailors and while the job gets done, I feel like they almost always screw up the sleeve caps, which makes the jacket unwearable in my opinion.