• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jacket Shoulder Fit?

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This probably goes in the "Ask a Question Thread", but I need a quicker response today.

I have a wedding to attend and need to purchase a new suit. There are some available at good prices, but I need to get the shoulder fit down (I think). I have a Haggar Suit (I know, kill it with fire, but humor me a moment) in a 44L and it (in my opinion) fits pretty well, where as a 42L in the same suit is too small. The odd thing is when I measure them, they are very similar and differ by only .5" across the back, but the 42L restricts my motion when I try and do a "Hug" motion. The Zegna SC on the other hand measures smaller across the back and along highest shoulder seem points than the 42L, but does not restrict my movement?

Needless to say, how do the shoulders on these two look? Are they both passable? Is one better than the other?

The top is the Haggar and the bottom is Zegna.

(Yes, I know the mirror is dirty)

Last edited:

Tweedy

Reaction score
From what I can see they both look fine, I guess its which one do you feel most comfortable in? :)

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the zinga is to my liking. how is the rest of the jacket?

lalaland

Reaction score
The top one looks like the shoulders artificially jut out horizontally, and have excess fabric sticking out at the top of the chest near where it meets the shoulder seams. The Zegna looks like a closer fit.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 60 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 115 33.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 104 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%