• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jacket shortening

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would the proportions of this jacket be ruined if i shortened the length by 1.5"? alot of comments were made that my jacket is a little long, and i compared it to my others to notice its 1-1.5" longer.
PICT0077.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the length from the top of the pocket to the bottom hem?

Also - try pinning the jacket to the length you've proposed and then see how it looks.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think so either. If you look at the distance between the bottom of the jacket and the pockets it seems there's some room to lose some length.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cool, i think i'll pin it up and take another pic.

On a side note, ed, did you take measurements on those cream colored trousers?

jcriswel

Reaction score
If you're going to take another picture, would you please take one from the back? The real test of correct proportions on the length of a jacket is how it looks from the back. We'll measure the length from the top of the collar to the bottom of the shoes. Then we'll measure the distance from the top of the collar to the bottom of the jacket. The formula should look like this:

A = top of jacket to bottom of shoes
B = top of jacket to bottom of jacket
C = percentage jacket covers silhouette

C = B / A

As an example, if A = 65 inches and B = 32.5, then

C = 32.5 / 65

C = 50%

This is a good proportion! If it was over 50% then I would consider shortening the jacket. How much? Well maybe up to 2.5% (2.5% * 65 = 1 5/8") - that's a lot. I really think this might be too much. I would not recommend shortening more than 1" regardless because it will throw off the stance of your pockets and buttons in the front.

Measuring really helps to make your decision and a pic taken of your back will help with that analysis.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a = 62"

my jacket top of collar to bottom of jacket is 32". so basically 1" needs to be removed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads