1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jacket shortening questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pgoat, Apr 9, 2006.

1. pgoat

pgoat Senior Member

I picked up a used Oxxford suit on ebay and it has two jacket issues -

1. a small moth hole near the hem on one side.

2. it is a Tall, with a 32" hem - I typically need a 31" to get the best rear coverage vs. leg lengthening.

I would like to avoid reweaving expenses and kill both birds with one stone by simply shortening the coat. The problem?

A. I have no idea what shortening a jacket costs - I was going to bring in some old Oxxfords to the Oxxford store on 57th street in NYC but I read a post on SF where the poster was unhappy with his alterations experience there. Could it be that shortening is more expensive than reweaving? I reckon I can get the hole fixed for about $50 tops at Alice Zotta's, and could live with the 32" jacket if I had to. (It's a casual duke of windsor plaid)

B. The hole is about 1.5-2" from the hem; I think it would need at least 2- 2.25" shortening to hide it safely. Is there a formula to determine how much is too much shortening?

I know shortening a jacket is usually a no-no because of pockets, balance etc, but I've never done it before and had to ask.....I may simply be better off re-selling this one on ebay.....

2. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

Shortening a coat should cost over $100 in NYC but that's an estimate. Anyway 2" is definitely too much.

3. dah328

dah328 Distinguished Member

I've had jackets shortened for around $60 in nyc, but 2" is definitely more than you can shorten a jacket w/o completing throwing off the balance of the jacket.

4. pgoat

pgoat Senior Member

ok, thanks guys.

I'll probably resell it.