• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Question

TedUF

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I have been lurking around for the past couple months, and I would like to give an initial thank you for being such valuable source of information. Every time I Googled something on fabrics, durability, fit, form, and purpose, it invariably led me here each time.

Is there a practical difference between an equestrian hunt or riding coat and a sports coat? I am in need of a new show coat and the tack shops in my area do not carry men's coats, and most of the internet sites do not carry my size, 40 Tall. For the ones that do, I am hesitant to put down the cash without knowing how it fits first. I came here as I never found equestrian forums to be very informative.

I know how I fit into a sports coat, and would like to know if it would be feasible to simply purchase a sports coat and, with modest tailoring, use that for showing. Going with the sports coat route also provides a greater selection of fabrics. Off the rack show coats are typically wool or some kind of tech fabric or polyester blend.

For reference, hunt coats are typically wider in the shoulder by about 1/2", the sleeves are supposed to come down to between the wrist and the first knuckle on the hand, and, traditionally, it is a three button design with the top button at the sternum and the bottom button just above the belt buckle. I never noticed any difference in actual length between my last show coat and my blazers or suit jackets, but I also never paid too much attention to it. Hunt coats fit slightly looser in the chest, and are usually double vented.

I do not know too much about tailoring, but, as I understand it, as long as the shoulders fit most everything else should be easily doable. Is this an incorrect assessment?

-Thanks in advance.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good Morning,

I have been lurking around for the past couple months, and I would like to give an initial thank you for being such valuable source of information. Every time I Googled something on fabrics, durability, fit, form, and purpose, it invariably led me here each time.

Is there a practical difference between an equestrian hunt or riding coat and a sports coat? I am in need of a new show coat and the tack shops in my area do not carry men's coats, and most of the internet sites do not carry my size, 40 Tall. For the ones that do, I am hesitant to put down the cash without knowing how it fits first. I came here as I never found equestrian forums to be very informative.

I know how I fit into a sports coat, and would like to know if it would be feasible to simply purchase a sports coat and, with modest tailoring, use that for showing. Going with the sports coat route also provides a greater selection of fabrics. Off the rack show coats are typically wool or some kind of tech fabric or polyester blend.

For reference, hunt coats are typically wider in the shoulder by about 1/2", the sleeves are supposed to come down to between the wrist and the first knuckle on the hand, and, traditionally, it is a three button design with the top button at the sternum and the bottom button just above the belt buckle. I never noticed any difference in actual length between my last show coat and my blazers or suit jackets, but I also never paid too much attention to it. Hunt coats fit slightly looser in the chest, and are usually double vented.

I do not know too much about tailoring, but, as I understand it, as long as the shoulders fit most everything else should be easily doable. Is this an incorrect assessment?

-Thanks in advance.

If it fits well in the shoulders and neck, almost everything else is a easy job for a good tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads