• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jacket/parka help anyone?

keithiopian

Reaction score
so I'm looking to get a hooded jacket/parka, mostly for san francisco rain/biking/fog, so water and windproof is definitely needed. trying to stay under 1000 (otherwise i'd get a moncler dijon and walk around in wool and down bliss). I'd love to have the navy Mt Rainier Design Inyo Down Parka, but have pretty much given up hope on finding one. Ditto for the Waste(twice) collabo. Have tried velour, uniforms for the dedicated, acne...none quite worked (im small, hence the japanese fetish). I've looked at the Fjallraven Greenland parka and Penfield Hoosac, which are rather nice, but definitely very hip brands (and I'm not particularly hip). Currently I'm eying the Monitaly Duck Parka here:

http://www.superdenim.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=862

as well as the Gant Rugger Hiker:

http://gearpatrol.com/blog/2010/10/0...-hiker-jacket/

I'm very much for the philosophy of Yuketen/Monitaly, just not sure if the jacket is a) warm enough or b) fits well, as I can't find it anywhere except online.

Can't really do the tan/khaki/fatigue look, generally prefer black/gray/navy etc, but I don't mind a brightly colored one if its the right one.

Anyhow, any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

keithiopian

Reaction score
Have seen that post, most of that is for down jackets and cold survival however; while i'm going to be in 20degree pittsburgh for a week, most of my time is in SF, which gets chilly but not heavy down jacket cold. I also can't do the nylon/puffy jacket style, and LL Bean is way too big for me (5'6, 130lb, 27/28" waist). Will check out wellensteyn; any tips on what the fit tends to be like?

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Would something like a Baracuta G9 be close to what you're looking for?

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
If your going to be biking in this I would look for something that does not have linings like to two you've posted. Sweat being the issue. That being said I love both of the parkas you posted the Gant Hikers been on my list since it came out and the Monitaly looks incredible.

keithiopian

Reaction score
The Baracuta is nice, but I was hoping for something hooded, given SF spontaneous showers. maybe the g28?

@guitar, I should clarify by "biking" I certainly don't mean "cycling;" more generic city/school 15 min. commute biking, the key being that i'd be exposed to the whimsy and temper of the elements, esp. waiting for buses, munis, etc., and dealing with a decent wind chill while riding. Do you still think a lined jacket is ill-advised?

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Shouldnt be a problem. I was thinking naively and pictured someone going from a one side of the city to the opposite side at full speed in a tweed lined jacket. You picked the right time though FW/10 stuff is being marked down and SS/11 is popping up.

keithiopian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guitar Preacher
Shouldnt be a problem. I was thinking naively and pictured someone going from a one side of the city to the opposite side at full speed in a tweed lined jacket. You picked the right time though FW/10 stuff is being marked down and SS/11 is popping up.

Very true, but it also means my size is next to impossible to find. Plus, things are going fast; that black Monitaly just ran out of stock. Gotta be quicker in my decisions it seems.

keithiopian

Reaction score
man am i bad at this. decided to pick up the Barbour x Tokito Bicycle Jacket, as my severe-cold-weather need had already passed, and lo and behold Opening Ceremony was out of stock (despite completing my purchase perfectly well on their online store. thanks web developers.) Gotta figure out a better way of going about this....

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Gant one. Gilt had a gant sale last week and they were selling for $140 I think. I was too late to snag one.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that same thing happened to me on the bicycle jacket! such a letdown.

have you considered the CDW california winter jacket at SW? i bet you could get away with that.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also, i found the bicycle jacket in XXL at aaron's of eastham - not sure if it's still in stock, but worth checking out.

keithiopian

Reaction score
yes, so disappointing they couldn't fulfill the bike jacket orders! was eagerly awaiting it but, such is the way of things i suppose. that california winter looks super nice, thanks for the heads up. i've also been eyeing the norse projects x elka raincoat (http://www.uptherestore.com/product/elka-raincoat-black) and apolis wax canvas anorak (http://store.apolisglobal.com/event/...374d15f79e/#sc) for a more rain-centric approach. aaron's site is down right now, but i'll check it out once its back up; although, xxl is exactly the opposite end of the spectrum from my diminutive figure...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads