• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket length

Guest7889

Reaction score
I have this jacket, however the length is slightly long would you say is this wearable?

Attachments

• D6503EA9-F30E-487F-9F79-39ECBC68DD3D.jpeg
    D6503EA9-F30E-487F-9F79-39ECBC68DD3D.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 64F54E8F-A27B-4C36-B02C-D08F02D29C50.jpeg
    64F54E8F-A27B-4C36-B02C-D08F02D29C50.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 04E4A15C-8E1C-44BA-AE39-722E662382A0.jpeg
    04E4A15C-8E1C-44BA-AE39-722E662382A0.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 87

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hard to tell in these photos because of the camera angle, which elongates the top half of the photo. Stand about six feet away from teh camera with the camera shooting straight about chest level. Also, put on a pair of tailored trousers and the shoes you'd normally wear with this jacket. The heel height can affect how long the jacket looks.

Guest7889

Reaction score
Sorry, no.

Phillip
Here is another blazer I had altered by 1.5 inch, it was almost the same length or slightly long
16C21DFA-F77A-440B-8405-F3AF3E63B09B.jpeg

Attachments

• 899A6D4A-51B3-498B-A5A8-9ECB25980D90.jpeg
    899A6D4A-51B3-498B-A5A8-9ECB25980D90.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 125

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't like the shortened sport coat, as the proportions are now screwy. It would help if you posted more accurate photos. In the future, I would not shorten coats so much, as you lower their resale value. And should someone end up buying it, they will later realize the proportions are off and then the garment won't be useful to anyone.

Guest7889

Reaction score
I don't like the shortened sport coat, as the proportions are now screwy. It would help if you posted more accurate photos. In the future, I would not shorten coats so much, as you lower their resale value. And should someone end up buying it, they will later realize the proportions are off and then the garment won't be useful to anyone.
I’ll retake some photos tomorrow if you could suggest, and as per my opinion if I shorten my tan jacket by an inch I bet they won’t set off the proportions and will fit better. However yes, somewhat they do look off but I feel whilst wearing it it’s not to noticeable.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
I’ll retake some photos tomorrow if you could suggest, and as per my opinion if I shorten my tan jacket by an inch I bet they won’t set off the proportions and will fit better. However yes, somewhat they do look off but I feel whilst wearing it it’s not to noticeable.

Shortening a suit or sport jacket is almost without exception a fail. If you do it I have a strong sense you'll feel like you threw good money after bad; you'll be disappointed and you won't wear it. It is your money, but you asked.

Stylewords

Reaction score
Shortening a suit or sport jacket is almost without exception a fail. If you do it I have a strong sense you'll feel like you threw good money after bad; you'll be disappointed and you won't wear it. It is your money, but you asked.
It is often a mistake, but depending on pocket placement you can sometimes shorten by a small amount with good results.

Guest7889

Reaction score
It is often a mistake, but depending on pocket placement you can sometimes shorten by a small amount with good results.
Better length imho, on the altered version.

Phillip
Indeed, but the pocket placement on this jacket Slightly high, what would you say if this was altered an inch (tan jacket) the length of the tan jacket is somewhere between 31 or 30 and 29 suits me, if this looks better I’ll need you humble advice on this option.

Stylewords

Reaction score
I think you might be able to get away with an inch or maybe 3/4 inch. I agree that on the blue jacket, the hip pockets seem a little too close to the hem and in general the proportions are a little off. Perhaps measure the distance from the hip pocket to the hem on the blue and ensure you leave more distance on the tan (of course, the proportions will be a little different anyway between the jackets, but it will give you an idea).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's possible to shorten a jacket, but the more you shorten, the more you risk certain things

1. Along with the placement of the pockets, there's the buttoning point. The buttoning point is the top button a two-button coat and the center button on a three-button coat. On a well-balanced coat, it should stand a certain distance from the hem. And when you shorten a coat, you shorten this distance, making the bottom half of the coat look truncated.

This is independent of pocket placement. Even if you were to have a patch pocket sport coat where the pockets can be moved, the fixed position is the buttoning point.

2. You also change the silhouette. Look at these two photos when they're side by side

D6503EA9-F30E-487F-9F79-39ECBC68DD3D.jpeg

A jacket's silhouette is its shape when you take away all the details. Next to fit, it's the most important dimension of a coat, as it determines your figure. When you shorten a coat, you make the coat look wider, even if you are, in fact, only changing the length. On the beige coat above, you can see how the silhouette is balanced and well proportioned. On the blue coat, when you shorten the coat, the silhouette looks boxier and wider. I assume the only difference here is the length, but the OP can confirm.

The more you shorten a coat, the more you have to change other things about the coat to keep the same silhouette. To keep that same beige coat silhouette on the blue coat, you would both need to shorten the length *and* narrow the shoulders/ chest. But of course, this is very expensive to do.

To my eye, the beige coat may not have the ideal length, but at least the silhouette is proportioned. It's elongating and balanced. The buttoning point is the right distance from the hem. The blue coat just looks like it was obviously chopped at the bottom, and the resulting silhouette makes you look wider.

The best solution is to just find coats that fit well off the rack and do minimal adjustments. If you provide better photos, we can see if the beige coat is indeed too long. It helps if you position the camera straight at chest level, wear trousers, and put on dress shoes. The coat's proper length is about the distance from the collar to the floor, and how it works with other lines in your outfit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads