• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket length question...

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'11" and consequently get a Long in whatever sportcoat I purchase- average length being IIRC 33" or so. I'm watching a sportcoat on Ebay with a 35" length... I know having it shortened would not be a good option, so is 35" simply too long for someone my height? I guess it would be considered 44XL...

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
35" is substantially too long. At your height, a total length of 33" is even pushing it. I'm 5'10" and prefer my jackets to be between 31.5 and 32". That means that at 5'11" I would prefer a 32 - 32.5" jacket. If you really love the jacket, a good tailor could probably hem it 2 inches, with possibly minor influence to the pocket locations (i.e. the pockets would appear lower), but this will run you about $40.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes - way too long. In fact, I would think you would be better off with a reg..

BGW

Reaction score
Definitely a regular, unless you have an exceptionally long torso for your height. My gauge is that the coat should not come past the base of your fingers when your arms are by your side and should just cover your butt, no more.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bbb,
at 5'11" you are probably a regular, not a long. i'm 5'10" and prefer a length of about 30.5". in fact i've tried on some sportcoats in "short" sizes that fit me well.

bestmastertailor

Reaction score
The correct coat length is for the bottom of the coat to end 1" below the curvature of your seat. Double-Breasted jackets should be 3/8" longer than single-breasted. At 5'11" and in normal proportion, you should be wearing a regular.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL... I can't tell you how many menswear employees tell me right away I'm a 4_L... I ALWAYS felt like I was more of a R, but when so many kept saying it...

thanks for the advice.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Double-Breasted jackets should be 3/8" longer than single-breasted.

Interesting, as I've always liked my DB jackets to be about 1/2" shorter than my SB jackets. But I'm certainly not a tailor. What is the rationale behind the 3/8" longer rule?

bestmastertailor

Reaction score
The rational (i guess one could rationize anything...) is to make a longer, leaner line. I generally make most of coats on larger men(that of larger abdomen such as myself) 3/8 to 5/8 longer while dropping the button stance as to give a "slimming" effect. At 6'1" and 238 lbs, i need all the slimming effect I can use.

rjsphd

Reaction score
You are getting good advice here--I am your height and sales people put me into longs all the time and I have to argue for regulars. That said, because you are at the border, it really depends on the model and your girth. I just dropped some weight around the gut and worked out and all of my jackets, even the tailor-made look a hair long. They hang straighter and, thus longer on my torso. I can tell you from experience that some regs can look a bit short at our height. Depending on how tight its cut, I find 31.5-32 is the right range. The 35 is way too long. save the coin and buy the right cut. I have seen so many longs on eBay that I have wanted and have been tempted to buy--but I cure the urge by putting on one of my ill-advised long purchases.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alan Flusser mentions in his books a neat little method that works, at least with me, very well. Measure from the base of the collar down to the floor and divide this measurement by two. That is the correct coat length for you.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
to make a longer, leaner line. I generally make most of coats on larger men(that of larger abdomen such as myself) 3/8 to 5/8 longer while dropping the button stance as to give a "slimming" effect. At 6'1" and 238 lbs, i need all the slimming effect I can use.

That makes sense. Would you use the same rule for someone with an average-to-slim build though?

bestmastertailor

Reaction score
On average to slim build men I generally fall back to 1" below the curvature of the seat. That said, I am talking about classic modeled clothing. I make garments for many entertainers, NFL and NBA clients and the coat length rule is thrown out of the window as are several other design rules and formulas that have been ingrained in me since I was a child.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads