• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jacket Length Query

Camerashy

Reaction score
I’m interested in a sports jacket size 44R but it has a back length of 33ins (from bottom of collar to hem) which I think is quite long even for me at 6ft tall.....would I be right and secondly, is it easy to shorten if required
Thanks

bicycleradical

Reaction score
I cannot comment if the jacket is too long for you however I can assure you that making a jacket shorter is difficult and can be risky as once altered, the balance may be thrown off and may not be the same.

It would be best to ensure that the jacket is as close to the correct length as possible before buying.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
a 44R jacket almost always 31" from BOC to hem. 33" is typically 44L. As for whether or not it's too long for you, this will vary depend on the details of your body, not just your overall height. Stand up straight and see where the hem falls. A jacket should be exactly half the distance from your neck to the floor. If it goes below that, it is too long and will make your legs look short.

Shortening a jacket is always a questionable proposition because all the immovable features (button stance, hip pockets, chest pocket) are placed relative to the initial length. Shortening the jacket can make them all look too low. My tailor's general guideline is that you can take off about 1" if you absolutely must, but anything beyond that is a no-go.

Camerashy

Reaction score
Thank you both for your most helpful advice.
In my case, from the BOC to floor measures 64ins so the jacket will be too long
I have a jacket that measures 32ins and it’s at the max of what feels comfortable.
thank you for also pointing out the relative proportions of the jacket, button and pockets etc, which had not crossed my mind.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.