• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

    The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

    If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jacket fit dilemma

D Yizz

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2010
Messages
574
Reaction score
5
I got my hands on a beautiful FU plaid sportcoat. It fits great on the shoulder, no divots and fits beautifully through the chest and upper back. However, it needs about half an inch of letting out on the waist so it doesn't pull. The problem lies on the lower rear end. The coat is single vented and the vent looks completely open. which is caused by my very pronounced rear end, (yeah, I'm not writing the homo comment inducing word) and rather wide hips and quads. I took out some older out of commission single vented coats I own which fit bigger, and the problem is still noticeable, although not as serious as on this coat. Is there a solution to this other than wearing a tent size coat, or am I confined to double vented jackets? Can it be solved by letting out of the center rear seam without altering the look of the waist or front?
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
20,602
Reaction score
3,136
Originally Posted by D Yizz
I got my hands on a beautiful FU plaid sportcoat. It fits great on the shoulder, no divots and fits beautifully through the chest and upper back. However, it needs about half an inch of letting out on the waist so it doesn't pull. The problem lies on the lower rear end. The coat is single vented and the vent looks completely open. which is caused by my very pronounced rear end, (yeah, I'm not writing the homo comment inducing word) and rather wide hips and quads. I took out some older out of commission single vented coats I own which fit bigger, and the problem is still noticeable, although not as serious as on this coat. Is there a solution to this other than wearing a tent size coat, or am I confined to double vented jackets? Can it be solved by letting out of the center rear seam without altering the look of the waist or front?

No.
 

SilvioDante

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by D Yizz
Is there a solution to this other than wearing a tent size coat, or am I confined to double vented jackets? Can it be solved by letting out of the center rear seam without altering the look of the waist or front?

Yizz, I have the same problem. I'm built like a runningback and even my duel vent coats open a bit too much for me. The tailor insists that there's nothing to be done, because there's not enough material to really let out or work with back there. So I have to decide between having no waist suppression or having the vent open too much.

The only other option I can think of, if you're doing RTW, is looking for ventless jackets. It's not really my preference, but it helps hide my rear-end issue.
 

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
36,748
Reaction score
11,365
Are the side seams let our as far as possible? If not, do that.
 

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
9,027
Reaction score
654
It might be a balance issue which means that the tailor would have to take in material from along the shoulder seams. Not an easy fix.
 

D Yizz

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2010
Messages
574
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by SilvioDante
Yizz, I have the same problem. I'm built like a runningback and even my duel vent coats open a bit too much for me. The tailor insists that there's nothing to be done, because there's not enough material to really let out or work with back there. So I have to decide between having no waist suppression or having the vent open too much.

The only other option I can think of, if you're doing RTW, is looking for ventless jackets. It's not really my preference, but it helps hide my rear-end issue.


Yeah, my double vented ones flare up, but I can live with those since I tend to wear them a bit longer, which hides the problem a bit.

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Are the side seams let our as far as possible? If not, do that.

Yeah, I guess that's the solution, but I like waist suppression and don't want it to look like a shapeless sack. I'm short and wide shouldered, and with little or no waist suppression I think I'd look like shorter and fat.

Originally Posted by TRINI
It might be a balance issue which means that the tailor would have to take in material from along the shoulder seams. Not an easy fix.

Lets see, this coat was handed to me, so it may be worth having my tailor play with it.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

  • Classic Leather Low-Top

  • Canvas Plimsoll

  • Leather Slip-On

  • Canvas Slip-On

  • Athletic Kicks

  • Leather High-Top


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
435,954
Messages
9,368,687
Members
196,604
Latest member
eileenbradley
Top