• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jacket buttons on navy blazer

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So i have in my possession a great navy blazer (the cloth has a fuzzy texture). But I have bronze buttons for it. I don't really like bronze. The combination or bronze and blue makes me look like an old seadog (which I'm not). What buttons would you use for your navy blazer?

brass/bronze - classic look
polished silver - RLBL look
brown horn - casual jacket look

I'm leaning towards polished silver.

It'll be great if you can offer some suggestions and links to a quality button seller.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the classic preppy brass button look because I like the whole OC BD shirt, khakis look.

I also like and own blue jackets with dark brown horn buttons and one with horn-like ivory colored buttons. Each one has a very different look. The dark brown is more modern looking. The Ivory has a nice relaxed casual look, more like sportswear.

My father used to have a blazer with buttons made from vintage silver quarters and dimes. (This was circa 1975 or so) They had a nice patina. Maybe not for everyone but they were pretty cool. They sure had a lot more interest that the typical brass tone blazer button. But when done well brass can look good too.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should make this into a poll. I like brass, but it seems you don't, so I would go with silver, then. I guess brown horn is not bad either. It depends on what you plan to wear the jacket with.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer brass, but find horn to be a very nice alternative.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like horn and think you'll get alot more use out of the jacket with them. Brass seems a little cliche these days.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like enamelled buttons from Holland & Sherry or Benson & Clegg and have them on all my bespoke blazers.

I still like metal buttons for a blazer. Other than enamelled, brass, bronze, silver and gilded are all fine with me--all very classic.

Smoked mother of pearl I find rather elegant for a lightweight summer jacket, but I have heard these buttons can be fragile.

I don't like horn buttons for a blue blazer--they make it look too similar to an orphaned suit coat.

Just my $.02.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
added poll. poll data might be interesting

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No "I think blazers are for middle aged dentists" option?

I go with brass...I roll old school.

indy116

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't like the brass / gold buttons too much. I think the horn would be nice.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
White MoP is nice for a summer jacket.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I replaced the bright brass buttons on my blazer with this antique silver set. It is a dull silver and doesn't stand out as much as the bright brass - makes me look less like a sea dog on shore leave.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 82 16.9%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 160 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 79 16.3%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 41 8.5%