• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jackas* spill coffee on my suit

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what would you do?

I had my suit on in the office, on my way to the pantry , and tried to walk around this guy who had his back to me talking to his friend.

As I tried to walk around him, he suddenly turned around and of course, he had a cup full of coffee and spoil like half it on my back and pants.

On top of it, he was being a jerk about it becuase some of the coffe got on him too. He blamed me of bumping into him, and said I should have said something to warn him.

I was just angry beyound believe, and said sorry and walked away. Now I feel going to find him and punch his face.

My suit is half soaked in coffee as I am typing..........
frown.gif

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well first things first, get a damp towel and a dry towel. I know this might be awkward at the office, but if your suit is realtively new / expensive you might want to help protect it.

Put the dry towel on the inside where the coffee areas are and then put the wet towel on top. The water will soak through the top and the dry towel will draw it to the other side.

As far as being angry goes, three things to think about:

1. You already said "sorry" so you basically accepted blame. Trying to go back on that will just make things worse.

2. Ask yourself who you are hurting by being upset. You'll find that you're basically wasting time out of your life being upset over a relatively silly event.

3. Instead of looking at it as a ruined suit, look at it as an opportunity to go shopping for a newer better suit. lol

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
Well first things first, get a damp towel and a dry towel. I know this might be awkward at the office, but if your suit is realtively new / expensive you might want to help protect it.

Put the dry towel on the inside where the coffee areas are and then put the wet towel on top. The water will soak through the top and the dry towel will draw it to the other side.

As far as being angry goes, three things to think about:

1. You already said "sorry" so you basically accepted blame. Trying to go back on that will just make things worse.

2. Ask yourself who you are hurting by being upset. You'll find that you're basically wasting time out of your life being upset over a relatively silly event.

3. Instead of looking at it as a ruined suit, look at it as an opportunity to go shopping for a newer better suit. lol

Solomonic advice for sure. I'm for punching face though.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, I guess **** happans.........

Will dry cleaning take the coffee out, and pervent staining ?
I already tried to clean it the best I could with wet towels and dry towels.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Yep. The lawyers in the family told me this also.

2. Very true.

Celery, you're one cool cat.
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by celery

l

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would guess that the more measured responses on this forum come from people who simply have too much to lose for such foolhardy conduct.

Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I'm for punching face though.

Reaction score
This can only be resolved by spilling more coffee. Scalding hot. On the face of the offending party.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I've always been patient, but the older I get (only 25), I simply realised that I could spend all day being angry, but in the end I'm short changing myself.

I want maximum enjoyment out of my life, can't enjoy myself while being angry. So I made a choice to not let things affect me.

It's like mind kung-fu against bad crap lol.

And about the coffee stains and dry cleaning, try it, hopefully most of it will come out. I spilled a little red wine on a creme coloured sport jacket once and it came out with dry cleaning (I did pat it down with a wet towel like I said earlier though).

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The funny thing is that Suitingstyle is built like Schwarznegger in Commando and I wouldn't be looking to start any **** with you. That other dude either had balls of steel or he figured, "this guy is not going to do anything to risk losing his job." Of course, you could offer him a drink after work to make up for your bumping him and then clock him one in the face when you are a few blocks from work.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds premeditated. I know that won't look good in court. By the way, your use of the word "clock" almost sounds like "glock"
laugh.gif

Godfather%202.jpg

Originally Posted by edmorel
The funny thing is that Suitingstyle is built like Schwarznegger in Commando and I wouldn't be looking to start any **** with you. That other dude either had balls of steel or he figured, "this guy is not going to do anything to risk losing his job." Of course, you could offer him a drink after work to make up for your bumping him and then clock him one in the face when you are a few blocks from work.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was it an especially good suit? Did you take it to the Dry Cleaning ER? Prognosis?

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't say sorry when it's not your fault! You just lost any claim you had to make him pay for the damages.
Be assertive. If it's not your fault, don't act like it is.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would mark that down under "accounts receivable"...

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Of course, you could offer him a drink after work to make up for your bumping him and then clock him one in the face when you are a few blocks from work.

Sounds like a good plan, except I would have to bring a body bag, and cops might have something to say about it. But I think you were right, he prob. thought a guy in a suit in office would never get into some real ****....

Originally Posted by redgrail
Don't say sorry when it's not your fault! You just lost any claim you had to make him pay for the damages.
Be assertive. If it's not your fault, don't act like it is.

Unfortunately it was either making it a big scene and be tagged as a "big guy with a hot temper", or take the high road and not risk my repuatation.

Furtunately it was a dark suit, I patted it down with wet clothes and let it air dry.
There weren't that much staining on the surface, so I think dry clean should take care of it.

Downside was I had to sit in my office with just my undershirt on, becuase my dress shirt was also badly stained, and my boss asked why I was stripping.......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads