• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

-Jack/Knife Outfitters Bespoke Denim

spacepope

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can only hope they open a MTM TOJ-esque service... That barn coat looks amazing.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I Could they do a custom shirt in any fabric too?

John and Nick said they are still working on defining what they want to do with shirts. So custom shirts aren't available at this time but that may change sometime down the road. They want to concentrate on jeans and some accessories for now.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I visited Jack Knife yesterday for my first fitting.

Here are a pair of completed jeans waiting for a customer.

These are my jeans. I love the rich color and the feel of the cloth. Note that I asked for hidden rivets. There is no waist band, that will be added for the final fitting.

You can see the rear pocket rivets from inside.

And the blue tape sewn seams

The fabric is a white selvage denim and you can see the edge on the coin or jack knife pocket

SF's own emptym stopped by during my appointment and was looking at some of the Jack Knife fabrics including these two vintage chambray materials

This one is a deadstock chambray that is over 40 years old. It was a gift to them from the maker.

It has been an enjoyable process and I look forward to seeing them again next week for my next fitting.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to how this turns out. Also looking forward to my eventual fitting

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because I'm a jeans n00b and I've never seen that before. My curiosity has been piqued, in a pleasant way.

PSG, do you try them on at all on the first fitting? Mine is scheduled for the 1st of Feb.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thread "i'm having a pair of jeans made" is from a Superfuture guy mizanation about a pair of jeans he had made by Kuniyoshi, "a master denim tailor who worked for years in a very famous denim factory in okayama, the mecca of japanese denim".

It is is a marvelous introduction to the hidden complexities of jeans, like hidden rivets.

The guy was obsessive about taking photo's about the whole affair- it's a great and wonderful thread. Here's an idea of the depth of details shown there:
DSC_0214.jpg

mizanation said:
another detail he showed me was puckering on the pocket stitching. again, puckering is actually considered bad sewing. however, the japanese noticed puckering on some of the vintage jeans and liked it. so, kuniyoshi-san likes to add a little puckering to the pocket stitching...

A great and wonderful thread, as good an introduction to jeans making as could be imagined.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me tag along, PSG. Really enjoyed meeting John and Nick and checking out their shop. They have a wonderful story and some tremendous passion. Looking forward to working w/ them on a couple projects.

Last edited:

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first fitting is Thursday. I opted for hidden rivets too. Less work-wear-like IMO and the denim wears so nicely over the rivets.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My first fitting is Thursday. I opted for hidden rivets too. Less work-wear-like IMO and the denim wears so nicely over the rivets.

I agree. creates a nice fade. Im holding off on my fitting because I need to lose a few holiday lbs to get back into my regular weight.

Rincon

Reaction score
This is a sweet thread... def. going to check this out next time I'm in SF.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics