• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jack Erwin Shoes

Robert S

Reaction score
I purchased a pair of the Chase chelsea boots about a month or so ago and I'm a little disappointed with them. They are very nice looking shoes, however, I'm not all that impressed by the leather that is used. Their price point is outstanding: ~$200 but they definitely feel like they are a [less than] $200 pair of shoes. I've walked around in them pretty extensively for the past month or so I've already got a deformation or tear in the boot's toe box. I've included a picture.

Robert S

Reaction score
I definitely did nick the toe box. It got caught on the concrete during my walk into the office. That being said, it was not anything more extensive than that and not anything unusual that I haven't done in my other shoes on countless other walks to and from my office. I was shocked by how it started off as just a small cut and it has now morphed into this larger tear.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, you really have to take care of tears immediately. No tear, no matter how small, is insignificant on leather. What you should have probably done was take some shoe cement and attempted to close the tear as much as possible. I've had to do that once or twice and, although it will never repair the leather, it will help to prevent the tear from growing.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else besides CM have positive or negative experience with these shoes? I'll be in NYC next week and want to find something I can try on in the ~300$ range that is not Allen Edmonds.

puppydrum

Reaction score
I have the same pair of Mitch shoes as the OP, and while I love how they look and feel one of the heels began to separate after only a few wears. Also have a pair of JE's Joe oxfords that I dropped from the rotation because they're noisey. I'm having much better luck with Velasca and Meermin, and with the current dollar/euro exchange rate it seems a better bet.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Caustic Man How are your Jack Erwins holding up?

I'm in NYC for a couple days so I decided to go to the fitting room store and check it out. The guys are very forthcoming and passionate about what they're doing. They currently have a small selection, but I think they are using their experience to see which models they should focus on. I'm not in the well-versed enough to compare shoe and leather quality but it seems to be in the same ballpark, if not slightly inferior to AE. However, it must be said that their lasts are much more attractive/stylish and at an undeniably tempting price point. I am looking for a brown suede shoe, and they have one left in my size. You can't buy directly from their store, but if you order via phone or in person, they will include free expedited shipping instead of regular ground, so that's something to keep in mind.

I find Chelsea boots to be very versatile. I know black shoes aren't favored around here, but a black Chelsea is just classic, and this felt great when I tried it on.

It's a small store near the Tribeca area, but very neat. In the drawers below the shelves are different sizes in various lasts.

These are the suede shoes I may order soon, if I can't find a better alternative.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mine are holding up well. The only complaint I have is somewhat excessive creasing on the right shoe. Obviously I use my right foot to drive and this might have put some extra stress on that shoe but I've never had that happen before. I can only attribute it to the leather quality. I don't imagine the suede shoes would have that problem because suede just seems to hold up better to creasing in general. I dig those chelsea boots and I have no problem with them in black.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've discontinued the Chase Chelsea Boot :(

Hopefully they release a new Chelsea Boot soon.

Sam H

Reaction score
I just got them today.. I'll start wearing them in regular rotation in a few weeks as it gets more fall-y. The color isn't lighter but the lighting in the pictures definitely gives them a black-ish, purplish feel. In other lighting, they might look more purple-y. Some of the google image photos you will find have a very glossy look, not of plastic-dipped shoes but of people who obviously polish their shoes pretty well. When I got them, they looked fairly "dead" in comparison but not really because there was anything wrong with the leather or the shoe, just me being too used to glossy polishes and antiqued finishes from being online too much. I hit them with some meltonian cordovan shoes cream, a bit of black shoe cream to darken the seams, and then oxblood wax and a lot of rounds of black wax to get a shine going and they are looking like they have more depth now but once again that isn't really a comment on Jack Erwin as much as it's a comment on what I'm used to these days. The leather is calfskin and the color is nice out of the box and the shoes do not have that stupid plastic look some shoes have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads