• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jack Black or Art of Shaving??

jasonsun

Reaction score
I'm now experimenting between different shaving creams, and want to know what people's experience are with both product.......

Heard Art's product line is better than Jack......

Anything would be great

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6

wink.gif

jtoddaz

Reaction score
Are you going to be using a brush. If not, I would suggest the Beard Lube by Jack Black. If you are ( and I suggest it) using a brush, then definately out of those 2 go for the Art of Shaving. I suggest you look at Truefitt and Hill, Taylor of Bond Street, or Geo F. Trumper, though. You may have to order them online, but all offer superior performance to both you mentioned.
Good Luck
Jeremy

beau nash

Reaction score
I use Art of Shaving sandalwood in the travel size. I don't always travel with a shaving brush but it works OK without it. With the badger brush, it works wonderfully.

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jtoddaz
Are you going to be using a brush. If not, I would suggest the Beard Lube by Jack Black. If you are ( and I suggest it) using a brush, then definately out of those 2 go for the Art of Shaving. I suggest you look at Truefitt and Hill, Taylor of Bond Street, or Geo F. Trumper, though. You may have to order them online, but all offer superior performance to both you mentioned.
Good Luck
Jeremy

Will be using badger brush.....the other element i' also considering is the facial wash/scrub/palm....entire product line to compliment the shave....so not sure if the other name you said have those.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have bought all of these products and others over the years and find that I still go back to a quality shaving cream (Edge) and razor and I'm good.

AgentQ

Reaction score
I've been using Acqua di Parma's Collezione Barbiere line of cream and balm, and I've really liked it so far.

jtoddaz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonsun
Will be using badger brush.....the other element i' also considering is the facial wash/scrub/palm....entire product line to compliment the shave....so not sure if the other name you said have those.

I believe T&H and TOBS both other complete lines of products, but they are harder to find. If you want to go full line, I would suggest going to a site like MenEssenials or DetailsForMen and ordering some T&H cream, and grooming products from Baxter of California.

The associated grooming products ie. face wash, scrub from AOS, and T&H are very overpriced for the quality they offer.

My .02

Good Luck
Jeremy

jtoddaz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentQ
I've been using Acqua di Parma's Collezione Barbiere line of cream and balm, and I've really liked it so far.

AdP is very good, as well. I shaved with a sample yesterday. If you want another luxury shave, look up Penhaligon's Blenheim bouquet. Pretty much revered as the ultimate. The scent was created for Winston Churchill, and the quality of the cream is top notch.

Bohdathone

Reaction score
Having used Gillette, Clinique, GFT etc shaving creams I've ended up sticking with Noxzema whenever I can get ahold of it. It always seems to do a good job, and I like the medicinal smell all the variants have

BlackBeard

Reaction score
I have sensitive skin and i've used Truefit and Hill, and Art of Shaving but neither comes close to Aveeno for sensitive skin.

It's great, doesn't dry up the skin and does a good job of softening up the hair.

goodlife

Reaction score
I have been using Truefitt&Hill Luxury Shaving Soap for almost three years.

With badger brush and safety razor I provides a great shave. Just enough scent to enjoy while you shave, but not so much that it competes with the cologne for the rest of the day.

The stuff also lasts forever. I am just now starting on my second 99g round (disclaimer being that I wear a short beard Nov-Feb and only shave my neck, but still).

The only other products I can compare it to are La O'ccitane, which is good but a little too precious, and the more conventional products, none of which come close in terms of richness of lather.

It is a little harder to get, but it you can figure out what you want by looking at the website, they have a shop in Chicago, and I suspect they could ship to you. They typically have really great service. Their number is 312-337-2525.

hangten

Reaction score
I've used both Jack Black and Art of Shaving and I prefer Art of Shaving. One item that I used that can make a difference is the Art of Shaving shaving oil that you apply before the shaving soap. At this time I only use Creed Green Irish Tweed shaving soap followed by Creed GIT after shave balm.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackBeard
I have sensitive skin and i've used Truefit and Hill, and Art of Shaving but neither comes close to Aveeno for sensitive skin.

It's great, doesn't dry up the skin and does a good job of softening up the hair.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but in my experience, Jack Black is much better than Aveeno.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics