• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JAB cashmere scarf good?

izlat

Reaction score
Is the JAB cashmere scarf worth the $30 (reduced from 120)? Or am I better off paying say $100 for a discounted cashmere scarf that cost ~200+, like a Barbour or comparable?

I've bought a couple of coats from JAB recently and to me the quality looks solid / good value at the deep discount prices.

I need the scarf to hold up well for a coupe of years, if not more
smile.gif
Is it more advisable to go fine merino route for longest life expectancy in good-loking shape?

Thanks

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ostensible full-retail price (~$120) isn't a realistic comparison point as JAB is one of those retailers that are perpetually on sale. You're much better off considering the value of it at the sale price, rather than thinking, "gee what a deal, marked down from $120".

If you think it's a good value at $30, like the pattern, color and feel, then buy it and wear it in good health.

I suspect that a $30 JAB cashmere scarf isn't going to be of the highest quality, so if I were to buy it, I would assume that it will be good for 1 season, 2 at most. I would also expect a lot of pilling. Still, if $30 is your budget for a scarf, you might find it hard to find others in that price range that are of demonstrably higher quality.

You might get lucky on a post-holiday desperation sale at a major department store (Nordstrom, Saks, Neiman, Bloomingdales, Barneys) with a much higher quality scarf for say $75-100, possibly as low as $50-60. But that is speculative, and if you've found what you want, want it now, and it's available now; by all means, buy it and wear it in good health.

Disclaimer: I have no first-hand knowledge of JAB cashmere scarves. I am only surmising based on my judgment as to their general level of quality and price points. I do own a JAB sport coat, which I wear regularly and enjoy; but for cashmere scarves, I look elsewhere.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a JAB cashmere scarf, paid the same 30 bucks. Its not bad at all, although I don't use it often. The hand is decent and I've had no pilling thus far. I'd say its worth the money for someone like myself who only uses scarves sparingly.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have no firsthand experience with JAB. My advice is not to pay more for the scarf than you would pay for a wool scarf, as it is unlikely to be any nicer than a comparably priced wool scarf. If anything, it won't be as nice.

My comments are based on an experience with a Kousei scarf (Kousei is a Chinese OEM manufacturer of low-end cashmere and cashmere blend scarves). I can tell you that my Kousei does that job without pilling, and looks pretty good, but it is by no means rich or luxurious.

Mr T

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, there are some cashmere scarfs in the JAB clearance section too for $19.

izlat

Reaction score
Thank you all for the comments!

I did find some cheap cashmere scarves in Sacks and Neiman today (what sales!) but it seems that I may get lucky with a hand-knit cashmere
smile.gif
so I didn't buy any. If this doesn't happen - I guess I'll get one from Sacks or NM...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads