• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Press + UO Line - Thoughts?

Peurist

Reaction score
Got an email today re: a line between J. Press and Urban Outfitters. I used to buy a lot of casual stuff from UO, but have abandoned them in the past year or so due to the quality of the merchandise going south (read: thin fabrics, more usage of man-made materials like poly, acrylic, etc...); I mean, even the wools in this line seem to have polyester in them, but stylistically speaking, what are your thoughts?

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...EATURED_JPRESS

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't like a few of the pieces; mainly accessories and the blazer. will kop the rest so I can use this discount.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://thetrad.blogspot.com/2010/11/...e-is-less.html

McNairy and Dean hit on this idea of Urban Outfitters putting out a budget J. Press line with all the right details but at a lower price point. No different from Brooks Brothers and Brooksgate of the '80s or RL's Rugby of today. Cheap clothes for kids without a lot of money but hitting 12 on the style meter via not so subtle design tweaks. Already, I'm too old for this.

But they're not making it for me. Hell, they're not making it for themselves. The pant has one of the lowest rises I've ever seen. The fly looks like it's 3" long. If you're a gal looking for a khaki this just might be your ticket. Same with the wool Black Watch and grey flannel.

I can't imagine anyone with an appendage south of the belly button getting into these pants. It's a great price but you sacrifice comfort for the goods. The hand is rough and not unlike the winter wool trousers I was issued in the army. I wore those once in four years.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he is right. if you are old enough to be out of college, you should not try this on. But my balls are heavy and so I need pants that hold on to them.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grey slacks look like a good bargain for $88. Even better when/if they go on sale. i would have to see them in person, though.

thebarsmydestination

Reaction score
Thumbs up. Purists might get fussy, but I'll never be down on this sort of entry-level catering to younger kids and guys on a tight budget (guys like... well, like me.) It's a gateway drug.

I wish the navy blazer was two buttons instead of three, but whatever.

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
Piss poor brand management. J Press has all the history and heritage to turn into a powerhouse high end Prep brand (I could be wrong, but much like it is in Japan). Instead they're partnering up with the lamest ass store ever.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you need to be a purist to think that the crap blend fabrics they're using and UO manufacturers are bad news.

That said, the Trad's info that it was partly McNairy's idea sort of shut me up.

The whole thing is surprising to me b/c it always seemed to me that J. Press was kind of averse to this sort of marketing. Not that they wouldn't want to grow or tap into a new market, or that they felt somehow "above" it (not everything Press makes is a wonderful, well-made piece of trad history), but that they just didn't care to do it.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It all looks a bit "off."

But at least AA and UO, the last hipster dominos, have fallen. Regime change.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol at rise issues. Strong fatcrotch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads