J. Press suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vista, Apr 17, 2005.

1. vista

vista Active Member

Can anyone tell me more about J. Press suits? I've read as much as I could find in the archives here and on the Web, but would like to know more if possible. Are there different lines of suits available? What are the prices?

I'll be visiting the store, too, but sometimes it's hard to get information when salespeople are busy or disinterested (though from what I've read J. Press is supposed to be different; true?).

2. seok

seok Senior member

i live down the street from a J.Press store in New Haven and have found the salespeople to be quite friendly - the store hardly gets busy. could probably give them a call.

3. Horace

Horace Senior member

You'll find more info on Ask Andy. In general, the Press suit is as close to a sack as you'll get nowadays. Natural shoulder, 3 button, plain front trousers. (Though Southwick makes something akin to it). Let's see, I think they've 2 basic lines of suits: PRESSidential and PRESStige. Some of their stuff is USA-made, other Canadian-make. Last year, I'm afraid that I found something a bit off in their shoulders on their Harris Tweed jackets, Canadian make. Apparently, others have felt so too, and they've switched manufacturers I believe. There's an employee of Press on the AAAC site. And many Press men as well. I think it's one of the best suits for the money. I love the basic line in spring/summer cloths.

4. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

Vista:

As Horace mentioned, there are two main lines, the Pressidential (canvassed, made by Southwick this year, about $875) and Presstige (fused, made in Canada, about $695). In addition, Press has "tropical wool" suits for about $595 (probably fused, made in Canada or USA). This is from their Spring/Summer catalogue. As you may have seen, Press doesn't include suits, jackets, or trousers on their web site, but you can order a catalogue online.

The Press salesman who posts on Ask Andy goes by the name "Steedappeal." Alternatively, you can call their New York store and ask for David--same guy.

5. Horace

Horace Senior member

That's right.  There's this sub-Presstige line, isn't there, that's fairly inexpensive.  I've bought this garb as well, save it was cheaper 10 years ago.  Then, the coat wasn't fused, so far as I can tell.

edit: during the winter, there is also a few less expensive offerings as well, esp. in the non-Harris & Donegal tweeds.

6. vista

vista Active Member

Gentlemen,

That's the information I was looking for. Thank you.

So the (lesser) Presstige line is fused now?

7. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

I just got one of the standard "tropical" charcoal pinstripes that fits great. It was 525 retail. It is US made.