• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Press discontinuing candystripe OCBDs

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
In OCBD terms, is candy stripe the same as university stripe?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
In OCBD terms, is candy stripe the same as university stripe?

Well, that's how I'm using them. "University stripe" would have taken more time to type
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The idea that they could discontinue such an iconic pattern is shocking. So is the fact that it doesn't sell. I don't know which is more shocking.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The idea that they could discontinue such an iconic pattern is shocking. So is the fact that it doesn't sell. I don't know which is more shocking.

Yeah, I can't wrap my head around it either. They tell me the problem is that everyone buys the Brooks Brothers OCBDs instead. Considering Brooks Brothers' more effective marketing, and the proximity of its flagship store to J. Press's store on Madison Avenue, I guess it's possible.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
CEGO & Mercer haz them alls.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
They tell me the problem is that everyone buys the Brooks Brothers OCBDs instead.
The collar roll on the BB is better.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB has a wide array of must-iron OCBDs in solids, stripes, and maybe checks?

Thier outlet brand only offers must-iron OCBDs in solid colors: white, blue, pink, and yellow. That leads me to believe that solids outsell stripes.

Scientific, I know
plain.gif

mmhollis

Reaction score
It seems like the classic oxford is just disappearing. This weekend I searched a major mall in the Washington area and couldn't find ONE traditional OCBD. It seems like more and more companies are finding they no longer want to sell them. This is disappointing.

cvac

Reaction score
Too bad.

I like J.Press shirts a lot, especially their royal oxford shirts. I'm sure I would've tried one of the OCBD stripes at some point.

I had no idea Press did MTM for shirts. What is the pricing like on those?

Funny, when I was in a Press store about 2 months ago, they had just received a huge box of new striped OCBDs. Now they're discontinuing them. Bizarre.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac
I had no idea Press did MTM for shirts. What is the pricing like on those?

Prices start at $120 a shirt.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by classic? In "younger" lines, I think the oxford is very trendy. For instance, American Apparel is making OCBDs now. Band of Outsiders has been making $200+ OCBDs for a few years now.

It's surprising that you couldn't find them at a mall, as they're a Land's End (sold at Sears) staple as well, and I would think Polo always has a few oxfords.

J Press limiting their line is sad, but they do seem to be taking a new direction--the last catalogue I received was a glossy layout with models, as opposed to those I'd received for the past couple of years with photos of clothing on forms. Anyone know if there was a recent change of ownership or anything?

Originally Posted by mmhollis
It seems like the classic oxford is just disappearing. This weekend I searched a major mall in the Washington area and couldn't find ONE traditional OCBD. It seems like more and more companies are finding they no longer want to sell them. This is disappointing.

cvac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Anyone know if there was a recent change of ownership or anything?

I believe they are still owned by the same Japanese company that has owned them for awhile.

usctrojan55

Reaction score
Any comments on the fit of the J Press OCBD? Slimmer or fuller than a standard Brooks Brothers OCBD?

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Press seems to draw a distinction between University stripe and candy stripe. At least, they are next to each other on the web site.

cvac

Reaction score
Before buying shirts there, the salesman told me they were cut slightly slimmer than Brooks but they were not "slim fit" shirts.

I suspect that Press OCBDs are cut the same as their standard oxford point collar shirts that I have.

I have no experience with Brooks shirts, but Press shirts are cut slightly slimmer than a standard off the rack shirt, but are definitely not slim fit shirts. Some taller people have complained that the length is not generous enough. I'm short, so it isn't a problem for me.

Originally Posted by usctrojan55
Any comments on the fit of the J Press OCBD? Slimmer or fuller than a standard Brooks Brothers OCBD?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads