• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Press Cambridge

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd never thought I would ever like going to J. Press because the J. Press on 44th St is so sterile. I was wandering around Cambridge on Fri and I found that the J. Press there to have much more character. The salesman was nice and helpful with suggestions. I always felt unwelcome at the 44th St store.

Stonestreet was also pretty nice too. Unfortunately I was chronically poor in college and could never actually afford anything.

I was thinking of finding Drinkwater's but didn't want to wander around Porter square in the rain trying to find it (at least I think it's in Porter Square).

Oh yes, I overheard a conversation that the salesmen are told not to sell to Japan by phone in order to maintain the pricing in Japan. They will sell things to them when they come in person, just not over the phone. So it appears it's not just Vass with such arrangements.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great store, good career salesmen, nice sense of continuity with the past.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by auto90403
but ugly clothes.

Classy comment. Why don't you try a little harder to alienate the people on this board who have shopped there for generations.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but ugly clothes.

Definitely not my flavor (none of their clothes fit me, neither in size nor in style), but if you are looking for that Ivy League look, you don't get much more authentic than J. Press.

If you are looking for classic (and slightly stodgy fitting) clothing that will last a lifetime, it's great. That sack jacket will fit you when you are 20 and when you are 60, and made out of a solid, middle weight Super 80's or Super 100's worsted, will outlast much more expensive and much finer Super 150s + from Kiton. On the other hand, if you are young and fit, you are well served to look elsewhere. Enjoy your body while you can.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like J. Press, although I don't do my entire wardrobe from them. At the end of the day, their higher-end suits are quite nice, and they do good staples like buttondowns, navy blazers and rep ties.

As we speak, I'm wearing a navy J. Press blazer with a blue gingham Thomas Pink buttondown, a navy/white striped J. Press tie, some stone or off-white colored trousers, and Lobb "Lopez" loafers. I don't think any of these items are particularly "dated" or ugly, but perhaps I'm wrong.

The likes of Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, and J. Crew have all copied things from J. Press, so please, a little respect.
smile.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if the suits, trousers, or shirts are not cut or styled the way you like, any young/slim guy can apprecaite the accessories -- the madras ties, the web belts, etc., especially now that the Preppy look is back.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but ugly clothes.

Thats a little extreme. Done properly the natural shouldered look is handsome and color itself and in shades many men are too insecure to sport.

Maybe some of the style's zeitgeist will appeal to you.

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/trad-star

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
mack11211 said:
Even if the suits, trousers, or shirts are not cut or styled the way you like, any young/slim guy can apprecaite the accessories -- the madras ties, the web belts, etc
That is exactly what I use them for. I would probably never buy a suit from them, but def enjoy the accessories.

auto90403

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkBuck
Classy comment. Why don't you try a little harder to alienate the people on this board who have shopped there for generations.

sorry, but styleforum is for men who care about clothes.

buying one of those frumpy j. press suits means you've stopped caring how you look.

if you want the same look but without that sack fit and droopy ass, shop at paul stuart in NYC. it's right around the corner.

old dover trad

Reaction score

buying one of those frumpy j. press suits means you've stopped caring how you look.

if you want the same look but without that sack fit and droopy ass, shop at paul stuart in NYC. it's right around the corner.

HOW CAN YOU SAY THIS? I WILL TELL YOU MY WIFE DRESSES FRUMPY AND J PRESS ISN'T FRUMPY. I DON'T THINK YOU KNOW CLASSIC STYLE SON.GO INSIDE JPRESS AND TRY ON SOMETHINGA ND TALK TO THE EXCELLENT SALES MEN THERE BEFORE YOU MADE THESE COMMENTS. I AM SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW YOU CAN'T IMAGINE.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Dude, watch the caps.

And don't take out the tweed covered paddle...

old dover trad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Dude, watch the caps.

And don't take out the tweed covered paddle...

I am sorry about the caps Steve B but I cannot imagine why someone would disrespect J PRESS like this.Once my wife's younger brother said something like this about a J PRESS rust color herringbone tweed jacket and she agreed with him. I think it's a fine jacket even my favorite I have received COMPLIMENTS too from all types of people.So maybe I am sensitive.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score

Actually - I thought the STYLEforum was about style, and there are many variations thereof. Sack suits are not my preference either, but I do not begrudge those who like the look and respect it as a part of Americana. If a particular style does not fit your preference profile, that is fine. But to disparage an entire group here because their view on style is not the same as yours is of rather poor taste.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I am sorry about the caps Steve B but I cannot imagine why someone would disrespect J PRESS like this.Once my wife's younger brother said something like this about a J PRESS rust color herringbone tweed jacket and she agreed with him. I think it's a fine jacket even my favorite I have received COMPLIMENTS too from all types of people.So maybe I am sensitive.
Old dover, the caps are just annoying...

90403 has a right to his opinion (and it was expressed a bit too bluntly for my tastes) as you do yours.

For the record I'm with New York Buck. Not only do I think it's fun to blend clothing from different styles of dress, but also a sign of truly knowing how to dress.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads