• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Press Accesories (scarves & gloves) any experiences? quality?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to grab a few scarves and two pairs of gloves off J. Press but I have never bought anything from them before, whats the quality like on their accesories, ie scarves and gloves?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone? someone has to own something from Press

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of their "schoolboy" mufflers; the quality is quite good, but the wool is a bit rough compared to a cashmere scarf or even lambswool.

TopHatCat

Reaction score
I have two of Press' Schoolboy scarves from last year (they apparently roll out the same Schoolboy designs ever year?) and they are a nice thick wool, feel pretty good, and the quality seems solid after a winter of use. The colors are vibrant and they do a nice job of adding a nice pop to the darker palette of winter.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
No scarves or gloves. I have their linen handkerchiefs and they are excellent. In general, Press sources from good suppliers. Not always, but most of the time.

Maybe in the past, but now....ties from China, $900 overcoats made in Mexico? I'm very disappointed with their recent offerings.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
Maybe in the past, but now....ties from China, $900 overcoats made in Mexico? I'm very disappointed with their recent offerings.
I too have an aversion to buying stuff made in China, but before concluding that the stuff is poorer quality because of its country of origin, you should look at it. I would not be surprised if Press specs good quality from its Chinese suppliers. Whether country of origin matters to the OP is a different issue.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually just realized that Press has a retail store in Cambridge so I will just swing by there and see the stuff in person, thier shipping rates are sooo high on the website I didnt want to order anything without some background info first, $15 for shipping a scarf= b.s.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I too have an aversion to buying stuff made in China, but before concluding that the stuff is poorer quality because of its country of origin, you should look at it. I would not be surprised if Press specs good quality from its Chinese suppliers. Whether country of origin matters to the OP is a different issue.

I haven't really had enough chance to judge the ties. The topcoats, however, were AWFUL. The fabric was coarse and cheap looking, the coat was stiff and horribly fused. The buttons were poorly shanked, ready to fall off. For $900 retail, you could do a lot better. The "Made in Mexico" label is the same one that appears in the Zegna Trofeo suits at outlets, to give you an idea of quality. It's not so much the country of origin, but dropping standards that bother me. For example, I was looking at a navy blazer a while back- this is something Press should be good at, right? The salesman told me "yup no glue in here, high quality as always," but not even the lapel was canvassed. For a $600 coat I don't expect a bunch of handwork or a full canvass, but this blazer was horribly fused- pulling apart any two layers of the coat produced a crackling noise that I would expect from some Macy's crap suit. BB's $600 blazer, though not fully canvassed either, had much better fusing, and a resultingly more natural feel.

The schoolboy mufflers are nice, however.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
I haven't really had enough chance to judge the ties. The topcoats, however, were AWFUL. The fabric was coarse and cheap looking, the coat was stiff and horribly fused. The buttons were poorly shanked, ready to fall off. For $900 retail, you could do a lot better. The "Made in Mexico" label is the same one that appears in the Zegna Trofeo suits at outlets, to give you an idea of quality. It's not so much the country of origin, but dropping standards that bother me. For example, I was looking at a navy blazer a while back- this is something Press should be good at, right? The salesman told me "yup no glue in here, high quality as always," but not even the lapel was canvassed. For a $600 coat I don't expect a bunch of handwork or a full canvass, but this blazer was horribly fused- pulling apart any two layers of the coat produced a crackling noise that I would expect from some Macy's crap suit. BB's $600 blazer, though not fully canvassed either, had much better fusing, and a resultingly more natural feel.

The schoolboy mufflers are nice, however.

Well that sucks. I am sorry to hear it.

LeonM

Reaction score

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've purchased four wool neckties from Press. All have been very satisfactory. My father in law was a longtime customer of theirs.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
I actually just realized that Press has a retail store in Cambridge so I will just swing by there and see the stuff in person, thier shipping rates are sooo high on the website I didnt want to order anything without some background info first, $15 for shipping a scarf= b.s.

Don't know where you're from, but if you're in Boston/Cambridge but haven't been to the J. Press store you're in for a surprise/treat. It's a ... gem.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Don't know where you're from, but if you're in Boston/Cambridge but haven't been to the J. Press store you're in for a surprise/treat. It's a ... gem.

Thats what I am hearing, wish I knew it was there cause I was just at the Tannery in Harvard Square a few days ago and it is suppose to be right near there, hopefully their sale is going on in store.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a solid color wool scarve, and will agree that it is a touch scratchy. I really like it though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads