• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

J. Press Accesories (scarves & gloves) any experiences? quality?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
2,082
Reaction score
13
I am looking to grab a few scarves and two pairs of gloves off J. Press but I have never bought anything from them before, whats the quality like on their accesories, ie scarves and gloves?
 

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
2,082
Reaction score
13
anyone? someone has to own something from Press
 

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
2,213
Reaction score
5
I have one of their "schoolboy" mufflers; the quality is quite good, but the wool is a bit rough compared to a cashmere scarf or even lambswool.
 

TopHatCat

Active Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
I have two of Press' Schoolboy scarves from last year (they apparently roll out the same Schoolboy designs ever year?) and they are a nice thick wool, feel pretty good, and the quality seems solid after a winter of use. The colors are vibrant and they do a nice job of adding a nice pop to the darker palette of winter.
 

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by dopey
No scarves or gloves. I have their linen handkerchiefs and they are excellent. In general, Press sources from good suppliers. Not always, but most of the time.

Maybe in the past, but now....ties from China, $900 overcoats made in Mexico? I'm very disappointed with their recent offerings.
 

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
15,118
Reaction score
2,408
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
Maybe in the past, but now....ties from China, $900 overcoats made in Mexico? I'm very disappointed with their recent offerings.
I too have an aversion to buying stuff made in China, but before concluding that the stuff is poorer quality because of its country of origin, you should look at it. I would not be surprised if Press specs good quality from its Chinese suppliers. Whether country of origin matters to the OP is a different issue.
 

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
2,082
Reaction score
13
I actually just realized that Press has a retail store in Cambridge so I will just swing by there and see the stuff in person, thier shipping rates are sooo high on the website I didnt want to order anything without some background info first, $15 for shipping a scarf= b.s.
 

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by dopey
I too have an aversion to buying stuff made in China, but before concluding that the stuff is poorer quality because of its country of origin, you should look at it. I would not be surprised if Press specs good quality from its Chinese suppliers. Whether country of origin matters to the OP is a different issue.

I haven't really had enough chance to judge the ties. The topcoats, however, were AWFUL. The fabric was coarse and cheap looking, the coat was stiff and horribly fused. The buttons were poorly shanked, ready to fall off. For $900 retail, you could do a lot better. The "Made in Mexico" label is the same one that appears in the Zegna Trofeo suits at outlets, to give you an idea of quality. It's not so much the country of origin, but dropping standards that bother me. For example, I was looking at a navy blazer a while back- this is something Press should be good at, right? The salesman told me "yup no glue in here, high quality as always," but not even the lapel was canvassed. For a $600 coat I don't expect a bunch of handwork or a full canvass, but this blazer was horribly fused- pulling apart any two layers of the coat produced a crackling noise that I would expect from some Macy's crap suit. BB's $600 blazer, though not fully canvassed either, had much better fusing, and a resultingly more natural feel.

The schoolboy mufflers are nice, however.
 

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
15,118
Reaction score
2,408
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
I haven't really had enough chance to judge the ties. The topcoats, however, were AWFUL. The fabric was coarse and cheap looking, the coat was stiff and horribly fused. The buttons were poorly shanked, ready to fall off. For $900 retail, you could do a lot better. The "Made in Mexico" label is the same one that appears in the Zegna Trofeo suits at outlets, to give you an idea of quality. It's not so much the country of origin, but dropping standards that bother me. For example, I was looking at a navy blazer a while back- this is something Press should be good at, right? The salesman told me "yup no glue in here, high quality as always," but not even the lapel was canvassed. For a $600 coat I don't expect a bunch of handwork or a full canvass, but this blazer was horribly fused- pulling apart any two layers of the coat produced a crackling noise that I would expect from some Macy's crap suit. BB's $600 blazer, though not fully canvassed either, had much better fusing, and a resultingly more natural feel.

The schoolboy mufflers are nice, however.


Well that sucks. I am sorry to hear it.
 

LeonM

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2008
Messages
346
Reaction score
0

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2004
Messages
8,754
Reaction score
467
I've purchased four wool neckties from Press. All have been very satisfactory. My father in law was a longtime customer of theirs.
 

blank

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
2,508
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by pg600rr
I actually just realized that Press has a retail store in Cambridge so I will just swing by there and see the stuff in person, thier shipping rates are sooo high on the website I didnt want to order anything without some background info first, $15 for shipping a scarf= b.s.

Don't know where you're from, but if you're in Boston/Cambridge but haven't been to the J. Press store you're in for a surprise/treat. It's a ... gem.
 

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
2,082
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by blank
Don't know where you're from, but if you're in Boston/Cambridge but haven't been to the J. Press store you're in for a surprise/treat. It's a ... gem.

Thats what I am hearing, wish I knew it was there cause I was just at the Tannery in Harvard Square a few days ago and it is suppose to be right near there, hopefully their sale is going on in store.
 

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
9,081
Reaction score
42
I have a solid color wool scarve, and will agree that it is a touch scratchy. I really like it though.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 140 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 265 32.8%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 69 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 48 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 24 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 51 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,924
Messages
9,225,993
Members
193,667
Latest member
Krazykorean85
Top