• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Peterman

trueforest

Reaction score
Is J Peterman clothing considered to be of generally good quality?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Peterman is about romance more than quality. The clothing is usually made in China and other countries where the labor is cheap. I've returned several items after being disappointed with the construction, but I recently kept a couple of long-sleeve polos. They weren't worth the inflated retail, but they were nice enough to justify the sale price.

In the future, I'll be more likely to order shirts than tailored clothing. The coats often come in odd cuts and, for me, fit weirdly.

All that said, I've been pleased to note that Peterman has started offering some nicer items from reputable makers. The return of the Brigg umbrella was a good sign, I thought.

EBay is handy for seeing what Peterman stuff really looks like.

Munchy

Reaction score
isn't that the company Elaine works for in Seinfeld? lol

trueforest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Peterman is about romance more than quality. The clothing is usually made in China and other countries where the labor is cheap. I've returned several items after being disappointed with the construction, but I recently kept a couple of long-sleeve polos. They weren't worth the inflated retail, but they were nice enough to justify the sale price.

In the future, I'll be more likely to order shirts than tailored clothing. The coats often come in odd cuts and, for me, fit weirdly.

All that said, I've been pleased to note that Peterman has started offering some nicer items from reputable makers. The return of the Brigg umbrella was a good sign, I thought.

EBay is handy for seeing what Peterman stuff really looks like.

Particularly I'm interested in whether or not the clothes made by Peterman are worth buying for the money, as I do enjoy some of their designs quite a bit.

treegarden

Reaction score
The wool plaid trousers that I bought from Peterman 8 or so years ago are still going strong; well-made and very nice in appearance (they're a black Glen plaid of sorts over a cream ground). Admittedly they're not current product, but I'd certainly be willing to try something new based on this experience.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience (with the assistance of my wife) is that the men's offerings from Peterman are OK, kind of neat in a way, but of only middling quality. His women's clothing seems to be better--representing both really nice historically interesting (and still stylish) designs and quite decent quality. My wife just bought a couple of 1940s-style dresses, and they look fantastic on her!
smile.gif

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to be selective with the items and are only worth what they go for on sale. I do have two shirt I enjoy from them.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
http://jpeterman.com/product~cat~100...NHG%201957.asp

the description for the brigg umbrella is psycologicaly clever in a way. It tries to connect the umbrella to our perception of bentley.

I could be totally wrong in assuming this... but I know Rolls-Royce Phantoms come with a very similar style of umbrella hidden in the suicide doors. Are those Brigg's? If so, then maybe there is some vague connection between bentley and Swaine adeney

ThinkandDrive

Reaction score
I use the Peterman catalog as reading material while on the crapper.

And I totally do not mean this in a bad way. I think the quality of the publication is top notch and enjoy reading it as if it were a Robert Frost poem.

I have a small half-table next to the door to my bathroom in the basement (to where my shaving implements and I have been relegated by my wife), on which I keep several Peterman catalogs fanned out for easy selection.

That said, I haven't personally purchased anything from them. Though a friend has gotten several pieces on Ebay and loves every one.

I would love to have the counterfeit mail bag myself.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've purchased things here and there. Their stuff is all cut very full, presumably because the target clientele is older and perhaps less svelte than, say the SF average. Some of the stuff is made in Europe, but much is made in Asia, as Doc noted. I have some of their khakis and would buy more (on sale). I've been unimpressed with the construction quality of the shirts, which are also cut very full, although I've got a couple of linen shirts from them that are good for casual wear. Mostly, my recommendation is to hang around and grab something on sale if you like it. Their customer service is excellent and their return policy is great, so the risks aren't high if something doesn't work out.

Also, the women's stuff can be good. I've probably bought more stuff for my wife than for myself. Mostly I'm a browser. I love the baseball mitt-leather wallet. It's aged beautifully, as promised.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do you have The Rogue's Wallet? "His name was Costanza. He killed my mother."

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Do you have The Thieves' Wallet? "His name was George. He killed my mother."

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

It's funny because I've never really looked at his stuff before. I've just checked out his website, and he writes just like how the character talked on seinfeld.

After a champagne toast at midnight, he and the family will take the power boat to Key West. He is dressed for the occasion in his best guayabera shirt.

Yes. The airy, loose-fitting antidote for a tropical climate. Worn not just for everyday, but to terribly serious dinner parties, opera, and on many a presidential balcony.
I can just hear his voice saying that.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You mock, but this is it.

Here's a picture of a new one and a patinated one side by side:

photo-vi.jpg

Yes, I have too many receipts in my wallet (like George!). I just came back from a business trip. Maybe I'll empty it now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads