• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Peterman - To Buy This or Not?

3dials

Reaction score
Hi SF'ers,

I'm writing my advice request in the florid prose of J Peterman in hopes of eliciting your response.

Eyes red and haggard looking from searching the internet, I had not found even one review on J Peterman's Aged Lambskin Jacket. This seemingly delectably soft lambskin jacket dominated my every waking thought, its watercolor depiction luring me like the sirens who sang their deadly song to Odysseus and his men. I had hoped this jacket would slake my thirst for a supple leather jacket, but misgivings borne of experience from deals too good to be true dissuade me with earnest vigor. I am wary of this company, given its troubles. The last thing I would want would be realizing I had made a tragic mistake, like that Greek hero's erstwhile yet doomed comrades.

So what do you think, dear reader? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

http://www.jpeterman.com/Day26/LC-Aged-Lambskin-Jacket

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like it then buy it. What anyone else thinks is irrelevant, no one else will be wearing it.

3dials

Reaction score
I was just a little concerned about the quality of J Peterman items. I have heard their customer service is not the best (via epinions), but this won't be a factor since this is a final sale (no returns) item.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a chance and go for it! All the J Peterman clothes/shoes I have are good quality pieces, but it's all old.

Calnell

Reaction score
JP tells great stories on their brochures but I don't like that they only show sketches of their product.

Reaction score
Just like on Seinfeld, their stuff is a joke.

Last edited:

mdg137

Reaction score

Take a chance and go for it! All the J Peterman clothes/shoes I have are good quality pieces, but it's all old.

I think there has been a serious decline in quality, starting about 8 years ago.

I have some pieces from the 90's-- sweaters in particular, that have held up beautifully. Everything I have ordered in the last few years was shockingly bad, and returned immediately.

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's a shame really you see old brands decline for various reasons, maybe it's the recession. But if you're really enamored with the Lambskin Jacket, go for it.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just like on Seinfeld, there stuff is a joke.

Did you know Seinfeld brought Peterman back from the dead? The company was defunct when the shows ran but it piqued the interest of the actor who played Peterman and he, and others, invested in a successful revival of the company. The quality has not been good since they went from strictly mail order to a chain in the company's first iteration. They did have a great deal on SAB umbrellas awhile back.

3dials

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone!

You know, it's funny since I had always thought J Peterman was not a real brand until yesterday. I am an avid Seinfeld fan, so I googled J Peterman out of boredom and found their website. listened to my better judgement though and didn't go with the leather blazer route. I'm instead looking for a nice leather (non-blazer) jacket though I'm not quite sure what type I would like (motorcycle, bomber, etc.). Any suggestions?

Starbug

Reaction score
J Peterman is sketchy! The quality isn't that great and the sizing is off. Also they have an archaic inventory system and mix up sizes all the time. You may order something and they confirm that the size is available then you'll get an e mail that it isn't and you can be put on a waiting list. Then you'll see the size of whatever you were trying to order available on their web site. So which is it? They loose orders, mix them up. Probably the employees are setting things aside for themselves, like I said they are sketchy. For the money that they are asking you are MUCH better off just going to a store!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads