• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.P. Myhre bespoke shoes in NYC (pics)

TimelessRider

Reaction score
jpmyrhe_nyc_fall2006_01_md.jpg

jpmyrhe_nyc_fall2006_02_md.jpg

jpmyrhe_nyc_fall2006_03_md.jpg

jpmyrhe_nyc_fall2006_04_md.jpg

jpmyrhe_nyc_fall2006_05_md.jpg

jpmyrhe_nyc_fall2006_06_md.jpg

jpmyrhe_nyc_fall2006_07_md.jpg

jpmyrhe_nyc_fall2006_08_md.jpg

jpmyrhe_nyc_fall2006_09_md.jpg

TimelessRider

Reaction score
I spent an enjoyable couple of hours meeting with J. P. Myhre in New York earlier today. He is travelling with a close friend who is a long time customer. He is carrying some very beautiful samples with him. I was particularly taken with the medium-brown half-brogue sample he is carrying. The workmanship of the shoes is comparable to anything I've seen from other top-notch makers. As any bespoke maker worth his salt, the styling ranges from classic, to contemporary, to innovative and unusual. He also has some very nice and soft Italian leathers at his disposal.

A few things that may be different from other shoemakers you have used:
(1) Unless overwhelmed with work, Mr Myhre will perform all aspects of the shoemaking process
(2) There are no fittings invovled unless he feels that there are particular issues with your feet that would warrant an intermediate fitting. In all other cases, the shoe will be made through, and adjustments will be handled as needed.
(3) The footbed of his shoes considerably more curved in the heel area than any other shoe I've seen. This serves to provide additional support for the heel.
(4) Shoe-trees will be made and delivered only after the shoe is broken-in and all adjustments are completed. This ensures that the tree still fits snugly once it has conformed to the customer's feet. This one is quite interesting because I have noticed on some shoes that the custom trees don't seem as snug as they did at the beginning. The downside, of course, is that generic trees will have to be used until the custom ones are received.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The hand of a skilled artisan shows in your images. Thank you for the photos. Are you able to speak about the experience regarding your direct contact with the shoes? Did you find a sample that fit in order to offer any remarks? I won't ask whether or not you ordered!
smile.gif

EDIT: You answered my questions as I was composing them. Thanks, TR!

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
i hope that red semi-brogue bal is a 9 E UK or 9.5 D US.
how much are for his rtw like that one? were those rtw?

I'm embarassed to say that in the 2+ hours spent chatting with him, the subject of his ready made shoes did not come up. I'm not sure if all his samples are bespoke, but the half-brogues are.

Originally Posted by diorshoe
Mr Myhre looks like a nice man.
In addition to being a skilled craftsman, Mr Myrhe is a very unassuming and patient gentleman.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
that is art.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Amen! Great post TR. Guys like this and Scafora really show that the artisan who loves his craft is alive and well. So many shoes, so , little time.
blush.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
really beautiful works of art! i wish jan a very successful ny trip, from our correspondence and his posts here and in aaac he is a true gentleman.

Demeter

Reaction score
This is great to see! Very striking shoes by Mr. Myhre. I hope to see them with my own eyes sometime soon.

J.P. Myhre

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Just to clarify: All the shoes are bespoke samples. I am working on a RTW collection, and hope to introduce this to the market sometime in 2007. Check out my web site!

New York is great!

Thank you to TimelessRider for posting the pictures, and for the nice comments!

The Algonquin
Room 1212

ragdoll

Reaction score
And the Windy City should also be on your list for your next US tour!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads