• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.m. weston now in london

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For those with incurable Imeldaitis, J.M. Weston has just opened a shop in London (3 - 5 Burlington Gardens). They offer their models in different width (no other European manufacturer does that anymore) and if a particular model or size is out of stock, they can get it from France at short notice.

I wish them the best of luck; it must be a very brave person (or firm) to open a proper shoe shop in this age of designer sneakers.

And for all of you who need a little fix, they have a very nice catalogue to give away.

Oh yes, and I really lust after a pair of signature loafers in tan pigskin (or peccary).

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed in that wonderful Weston catalog that they also have a store in, of all places, Casablanca, Morocco. Perhaps because France colonized it 150 or so years ago? (Speaking of Morocco, not to change the subject, but I don't damn Thoma Pink for moving production there -- some family members of mine recently returned from a 2-week vacation there with reports of it being a stunningly beautiful and prosperous place, with friendly people (those that aren't terrorists), high-end restaurants, hotels, etc. (hey, a Weston store.) and other niceties of a contemporary society.)

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Weston just opened a Boston store on Newbury Street as well.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I noticed in that wonderful Weston catalog that they also have a store in, of all places, Casablanca, Morocco. Â Perhaps because France colonized it 150 or so years ago? Â (Speaking of Morocco, not to change the subject, but I don't damn Thoma Pink for moving production there -- some family members of mine recently returned from a 2-week vacation there with reports of it being a stunningly beautiful and prosperous place, with friendly people (those that aren't terrorists), high-end restaurants, hotels, etc. (hey, a Weston store&#33
wink.gif
and other niceties of a contemporary society.)
Perhaps many of the Morrocan royalty have a penchant for fine French footwear.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(LabelKing @ 06 Aug. 2004, 3:09) Perhaps many of the Morrocan royalty have a penchant for fine French footwear.
Well, you mean like Emperor Bokassa who had a penchant for Berluti: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/index.asp?id=43427
I recall those shoes were given as a present by the then president of France to the self crowned Emperor Bokassa.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh yes, and I really lust after a pair of signature loafers in tan pigskin (or peccary).
Did they have this shoe in stock? Another poster either here or on the Ask Andy board mentioned that this was a particularly striking shoe, and I inquired about it with the New York store. I was told that it would have to be a special order and that the price would be over $1000. I like the Weston signature loafer, and I really like peccary, but that's a bit excessive.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did they have this shoe in stock?
Yes they have it in stock (at least a sample).

It was a very hot day when I "discovered" the shop. Despite my dishevelled looks (shorts, no socks), I couldn't resist to have a look inside. But I didn't try on anything.

Only on my way out, did I see the pigskin loafer in the window display. But I decided not go back and to ask whether they were pigskin or peccary and to enquire about the price. At least this way I have an excuse to go back to the store.

The standard calfskin signature loafer retails at GBP 265.

William Massena

Reaction score
A bit of history about the JM Weston 180 "signature loafer", which might be of interest to the member of the forum, and is strangely not used much by the Weston Marketing machine.

Weston call this model "le moccassin 180", it was created by Eugene Blanchard in 1926 after a trip in the US where he was inspired by the classic penny loafer. Later the 180 became popular when during the riots and uprising of Mai 1968, many students where seen fighting the police in the street of Paris wearing these shoes. They soon reached cult status among the wealthy students of the prestigious lycee (high school) Janson de Sailly, and the shoe was nicknamed "Janson".

The 180 became a very popular shoe in France during the 80's but the craze died in the 90's. These shoes can be MTM to any leather color and and many leathers such as Water buffalo, Antelope, shark, Kangoroo, etc...

I have no connection whatsoever with JM Weston,  I just have a few of their shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads