1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

J&M Quality

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mrchapel, Jul 20, 2006.

1. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior Member

Have an unusal amount of free time today, and came about these:

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/catalo...le&PLOID=46534

Is is it worth the sale price? Picture looks a little funny; the enlarged picture looks a bit better. What is the general consensus on J&M shoes? Good, bad? I've heard varying things sense a lot of their production was moved to China.

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

Is is it worth the sale price? Picture looks a little funny; the enlarged picture looks a bit better. What is the general consensus on J&M shoes? Good, bad? I've heard varying things sense a lot of their production was moved to China.

Hmm, "leather-covered latex"? Sounds a bit . . . kinky.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Setting aside the issue of aesthetics, I would not pay that much for them. In general, J&M's quality is well below AE. I own one pair of J&Ms that I found for $50. The leather has creased very badly, though I've worn them sparingly and always used shoe trees. I can't say I expect to get many years of service out of them, like I would AE. Fine for rain shoes, I guess.

4. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Is it just me, or does the finishing on them look ragged? They look badly made and badly styled from the picture. I'd avoid. I'd wear used shoes from ebay before buying that.

5. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior Member

Most of the comments here were inline with my thinking. Just wanted to confirm. lawyerdad: yeah same thought when through my mind...not sure I've ever heard of such a thing.

Thanks for the solid advice [​IMG].

6. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Distinguished Member

What the hell is "bondwelt construction?"

7. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Distinguished Member

A euphemism for glue?

8. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

What the hell is "bondwelt construction?"

iirc, a glued construction using using a welt strip and glue. i would guess that the welt is stitched to the upper and glued to the sole.

9. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

Why do they insist (AE included) on calling shoes "airport friendly" when the TSA brownshirts make you take them off whether they set off the detectors or not?

This drives me nuts...

10. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

Why do they insist (AE included) on calling shoes "airport friendly" when the TSA brownshirts make you take them off whether they set off the detectors or not?

This drives me nuts...

It really depends on the airport. some airports don't care. you seem to be in nyc, which is a place that will make you take off the shoes. DC is the same - everybody takes them off pretty much before they get to the machine.

11. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

It really depends on the airport. some airports don't care. you seem to be in nyc, which is a place that will make you take off the shoes. DC is the same - everybody takes them off pretty much before they get to the machine.

This is true. Sometimes in the hinterland you can sneak by. But the fascists in NY always insist that it's TSA policy everywhere when you object. Then they call for the body-cavity search.,,

[​IMG]

12. JR_Rider

JR_Rider Senior Member

Every airport I have been to in the last year has made me take off my shoes. I have been to LAX, IAH, Hobby, RDU, ORF, and Williamsburg, Va.

13. LegB4Wicket

LegB4Wicket Well-Known Member

Okay, I might take a beating on this, but here is my opinion.

I own four pairs of Johnston & Murphy's (three leather soled dress shoes and one rubber soled casual boot) and for what I paid on eBay (no more than $50 per pair) I am very satisfied.

While I would not pay full retail for them, they have not let me down and are very comfortable. All the pairs I own were made in Italy and the construction has held up. I've owned the dress shoes for at least a year and they are still going strong.

Granted they are no Aldens, Lobbs or Grensens and my Sanders, Crockett and Jones and Tricker's are superior but if you need to purchase several pairs of dress shoe quickly with a limited budget - like I had to do just over a year ago - J&M are a good buy.

Best regards,

LBW

14. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

but if you need to purchase several pairs of dress shoe quickly with a limited budget - like I had to do just over a year ago - J&M are a good buy.

yes, but why should you settle for 'several pairs... with a limited budget' when you could spend it on a pair or two of say, c&j which you mentioned is far more superior?

15. LegB4Wicket

LegB4Wicket Well-Known Member

yes, but why should you settle for 'several pairs... with a limited budget' when you could spend it on a pair or two of say, c&j which you mentioned is far more superior?
    I needed shoes quickly and my options were limited. Victoria, British Columbia is hardly a Mecca for shopping and I did not want to pay $100 or so for more pairs of dubious quality Florsheim's or Bostonians at The Bay. The only store in town that sells A&E's charge around $450 Cdn. At the time I was also able to pick-up two pairs of new Sander's Diplomats at under $75 each (again off eBay) and at the time I felt it would be best to have five pairs of new half-decent dress shoes that I could rotate. For $300 in total, I might have been able to pick up two pairs of C&J's but not three. And that's if I could find them in my size. Like I said, I am satisfied with my J&M's. They are comfortable, are nicely styled and have plenty of wear left in them. A year later, my dress shoe wardrobe now contains three pairs of C&J's, two Loake's and two Polo made in Italy Carlson's, in addition to my Sander's and J&M's. My former Bostonian's and Florsheim's have been donated to the Salvation Army.