1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J & M Handmade shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by marc37, Dec 16, 2004.

1. marc37

marc37 Senior member

l've tried doing numerous searches both here and Ask Andy about the old topics on Johnston & Murphy Handmade shoes. l have been unsuccessful in locating them. Can someone please provide me with the Ken Pollock links from 6 months ago. They were the shoes from Bennies.

l am very interested in viewing the pictures of the handmades.

What were their retail value again?

Thanks very much.

2. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Actually, since l am having a pair sent out [to me] (oh no. more shoes to hide from my wife to be), would someone be so kind to post pictures of their J&M Handmade wingtip.

Regards: shooman.

3. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Thanks alot. There was also a more comprehensive topic from Ask Andy's as well.

4. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Senior member

I think that this is what you are looking for: http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....ndmades I was by Bennies today and they still had lots of small sizes left and also had two pairs of "shovel" soles in size 9.5 B. When production ceased in 1999, the Handmades were selling for $1,000.00. I guess they would go for $1,200-$1,300 today, if they were still being made. Louie recently showed me an old 1970 J&M merchant's catalogue with pictures of all of the Handmade models, plus many others (some terrific-Chris should post pictures). The number $100 was scribbled by each Handmade model. We were not sure if that was the wholesale or retail price, but it was probably retail, as a good pair of regular J&M Aristocrats went for about $25 retail then. They were about $250-300 in 1999, so the ratio of being able to buy 4 Aristocrats for one Handmade would be the same.

5. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

How narrow do the J&M Handgrades run? If I'm a 9.5C in the Grensons, and they're snug, though will be fine, would a 9.5B J&M Handgrade be out of the question?

Thanks in advance

6. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Originally Posted by marc37,15 Dec. 2004, 11:05
    Thanks alot. There was also a more comprehensive topic from Ask Andy's as well.
    I think that this is what you are looking for: http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....ndmades I was by Bennies today and they still had lots of small sizes left and also had two pairs of "shovel" soles in size 9.5 B. When production ceased in 1999, the Handmades were selling for $1,000.00. I guess they would go for $1,200-$1,300 today, if they were still being made. Louie recently showed me an old 1970 J&M merchant's catalogue with pictures of all of the Handmade models, plus many others (some terrific-Chris should post pictures). The number $100 was scribbled by each Handmade model. We were not sure if that was the wholesale or retail price, but it was probably retail, as a good pair of regular J&M Aristocrats went for about $25 retail then. They were about $250-300 in 1999, so the ratio of being able to buy 4 Aristocrats for one Handmade would be the same.
    Thanks for rehashing over old ground jerrysfriend.

7. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Senior member

The two 9.5Bs that I saw both have the shovel sole, which certainly looks wide. See http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....sfriend but the 5 pairs I bought all have the regular sole. A 9.5B in those would probably be too narrow for you, as they run very true to size, but maybe someone who got a "shovel" can tell you more.

8. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Chris, can you please post pictures of the old 1970's J&M merchants catelogue please?

l would dearly love to see pictures of all the models. l would also like to see J&Ms (Handmade) take on a loafer as well.