• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J & M Handmade shoes

marc37

Reaction score
l've tried doing numerous searches both here and Ask Andy about the old topics on Johnston & Murphy Handmade shoes. l have been unsuccessful in locating them. Can someone please provide me with the Ken Pollock links from 6 months ago. They were the shoes from Bennies.

l am very interested in viewing the pictures of the handmades.

What were their retail value again?

Thanks very much.

marc37

Reaction score
Actually, since l am having a pair sent out [to me] (oh no. more shoes to hide from my wife to be), would someone be so kind to post pictures of their J&M Handmade wingtip.

Regards: shooman.

marc37

Reaction score
Thanks alot. There was also a more comprehensive topic from Ask Andy's as well.

jerrysfriend

Reaction score
I think that this is what you are looking for: http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....ndmades I was by Bennies today and they still had lots of small sizes left and also had two pairs of "shovel" soles in size 9.5 B. When production ceased in 1999, the Handmades were selling for $1,000.00. I guess they would go for $1,200-$1,300 today, if they were still being made. Louie recently showed me an old 1970 J&M merchant's catalogue with pictures of all of the Handmade models, plus many others (some terrific-Chris should post pictures). The number $100 was scribbled by each Handmade model. We were not sure if that was the wholesale or retail price, but it was probably retail, as a good pair of regular J&M Aristocrats went for about $25 retail then. They were about $250-300 in 1999, so the ratio of being able to buy 4 Aristocrats for one Handmade would be the same.

marc37

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc37,15 Dec. 2004, 11:05
I think that this is what you are looking for: http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....ndmades I was by Bennies today and they still had lots of small sizes left and also had two pairs of "shovel" soles in size 9.5 B. When production ceased in 1999, the Handmades were selling for $1,000.00. I guess they would go for $1,200-$1,300 today, if they were still being made. Louie recently showed me an old 1970 J&M merchant's catalogue with pictures of all of the Handmade models, plus many others (some terrific-Chris should post pictures). The number $100 was scribbled by each Handmade model. We were not sure if that was the wholesale or retail price, but it was probably retail, as a good pair of regular J&M Aristocrats went for about $25 retail then. They were about $250-300 in 1999, so the ratio of being able to buy 4 Aristocrats for one Handmade would be the same.
Thanks for rehashing over old ground jerrysfriend.

jerrysfriend

Reaction score
How narrow do the J&M Handgrades run? If I'm a 9.5C in the Grensons, and they're snug, though will be fine, would a 9.5B J&M Handgrade be out of the question? Thanks in advance
The two 9.5Bs that I saw both have the shovel sole, which certainly looks wide. See http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....sfriend but the 5 pairs I bought all have the regular sole. A 9.5B in those would probably be too narrow for you, as they run very true to size, but maybe someone who got a "shovel" can tell you more.

marc37

Reaction score
Chris, can you please post pictures of the old 1970's J&M merchants catelogue please?

l would dearly love to see pictures of all the models. l would also like to see J&Ms (Handmade) take on a loafer as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics