• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J&J Minnis Flannel

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on the following flannel?

http://www.hfw-huddersfield.co.uk/ha...tki=168472344?

I will be commissioning my first of several trousers next year, and thought this might be an excellent candidate for a medium gray flannel trouser. It comes in two weights MID RANGE 13/14ozs 400g and HEAVYWEIGHT 15/16ozs 475g. Also, any thoughts on the weight would be appreciated. I am leaning towards the 15/16 oz as I live in Ontario and it can get extremely cold in the winter.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Fixed the link, sorry about that.

Verso

Reaction score
Can I ask where you will be having them made?

nmoraitis

Reaction score
I will visit Ambrosi in Naples.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Minnis flannels are first class, however Minnis prices to consumers border on the ludicrously high compared to what the trade pays.

You're likely to get much more wear from 13 ounce flannel. The 16 is right on the verge of unwearable in a heated building. Great for a cold day outdoors though.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Minnis flannels are first class, however Minnis prices to consumers border on the ludicrously high compared to what the trade pays.

You're likely to get much more wear from 13 ounce flannel. The 16 is right on the verge of unwearable in a heated building. Great for a cold day outdoors though.

Speaking from someone who lives in a similar clime as the OP, I have to disagree. 13 oz is a fall cloth and 16+ is a winter weight for flannel here. In Jan./Feb. you'll wish it were even heavier.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Speaking from someone who lives in a similar clime as the OP, I have to disagree. 13 oz is a fall cloth and 16+ is a winter weight for flannel here. In Jan./Feb. you'll wish it were even heavier.

I vehemently concur.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
You guys must have thicker blood than I do. I remember sitting in my attorney's office in Chicago one winter in a 16 ounce flannel, the sweat pouring down my face.

I had to give that suit away after I moved to San Francisco.

Might have been the situation rather than the office temperature, Will.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a lounge suit made of the same cloth (except in charcoal grey) last Southern Hemisphere winter. It is a wonderful cloth and wholeheartedly recommend it. It is even warmer here in Sydney than San Francisco, and I got plently of wear out of it.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i am wearing 14 and 15 oz suits (worsteds) here in HK this winter and i still finding it quite chilly and plan to get a could of 16oz for next winter.

so in Canada i think you will be fine with this weight but again it also depends on how you feel the weather too i really feel the cold!

Sprezzatura Custom

Reaction score
I would have to with one of the previous posters, as a fellow Canuck you are going to be sweating it out if you spend a substantial amount of time in one of the office buildings.

I don't imagine you will be doing door to door sales or be spending a substantial amount of time in your luxurious flannel Ambrosi pants. Alot of clients with custom I notice here in Toronto think they should go with really heavy weights but for regular wear to work to sit in an office it is not the most practical.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you're going to the trouble of visiting Ambrosi, consider getting copies of the 12oz, 13/14, and 15/16 oz. Your central heating arrangement will be the deciding factor as to which you ultimately prefer, but I'd imagine that you will find a use for all three in Toronto. And when you figure out your optimal weight, you will have no need to look further for a source of flannel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads