• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some J. FitzPatrick Cle Elum goodness.

jorshillay

Reaction score
Has anyone else had as many veins as I have on this pike loafer? The right foot looks fine, with very minimal veins here and there, hardly noticeable, to be expected. But on the left foot, I noticed it right away and contacted Justin when I got them. He said this is normal with the quality of leather, so I've tried to just get over it and ignore it. But every time I look down I see them, and it bothers me quite a bit. I was wondering if this really is what everyone experiences, and if I order more shoes from J. FitzPatrick, can this be expected?

Whether this is normal or not, are there any suggestions to make the veins less noticeable? Moreover, I think my left foot is slightly larger, and as a result, the creases on the left loafer look pretty terrible compared to the right. Any suggestions on mitigating this?

Thank you!

20210726_153642.jpg
20210726_155649.jpg

Stanacle

Reaction score
Has anyone else had as many veins as I have on this pike loafer? The right foot looks fine, with very minimal veins here and there, hardly noticeable, to be expected. But on the left foot, I noticed it right away and contacted Justin when I got them. He said this is normal with the quality of leather, so I've tried to just get over it and ignore it. But every time I look down I see them, and it bothers me quite a bit. I was wondering if this really is what everyone experiences, and if I order more shoes from J. FitzPatrick, can this be expected?

Whether this is normal or not, are there any suggestions to make the veins less noticeable? Moreover, I think my left foot is slightly larger, and as a result, the creases on the left loafer look pretty terrible compared to the right. Any suggestions on mitigating this?

Thank you!

View attachment 1666415 View attachment 1666417

Is it crust leather and have hand painted patina on it? If so, then it is normal that veins and flaws on crust leather are more noticeable than box calf which takes dye in the tannery.

But they are quite noticeable on your left shoe. You may stripe the patina and dye in a darker colour to hide them, but it totally defeats the purpose of having it patina in the first place.

It is normal for shoes to crease and it is also normal that different shoes have different crease pattern.

ThePhantomHorse

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the Saint Helens last fits compared to NGT also on the Alder Chelsea
The email says it's on the Rainier last but the website says Baker soo which is it?

diglett

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the Saint Helens last fits compared to NGT also on the Alder Chelsea
The email says it's on the Rainier last but the website says Baker soo which is it?

I asked and the suede Alders are on Baker, and the calfskin Alders are on Saint Helens

Looks like there was an error in the email that incorrectly mentioned the Rainier last

ThePhantomHorse

Reaction score
I asked and the suede Alders are on Baker, and the calfskin Alders are on Saint Helens

Looks like there was an error in the email that incorrectly mentioned the Rainier last
Thank you. Now I just need to know how the Saint helens last fits compared to NGT

jorshillay

Reaction score
Is it crust leather and have hand painted patina on it? If so, then it is normal that veins and flaws on crust leather are more noticeable than box calf which takes dye in the tannery.

But they are quite noticeable on your left shoe. You may stripe the patina and dye in a darker colour to hide them, but it totally defeats the purpose of having it patina in the first place.

It is normal for shoes to crease and it is also normal that different shoes have different crease pattern.
Thank you for your reply.

After doing some research, yes it looks like it is crust leather. I didn't know what that was when I ordered them, though I don't think that would have impacted my decision.

Would I be able to dye it in just that place where the veins are? Or would that end up ruining the look too much? Would a local shoe cobbler be able to help?

Stanacle

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

After doing some research, yes it looks like it is crust leather. I didn't know what that was when I ordered them, though I don't think that would have impacted my decision.

Would I be able to dye it in just that place where the veins are? Or would that end up ruining the look too much? Would a local shoe cobbler be able to help?
Another feature is that crust leather is softer thus the creases are more predominant than box calf leather.

You should strip off the whole shoes and apply the patina, otherwise it'll just look weird.

An experienced local cobbler should do a decent job.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics