Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by culverwood, Apr 12, 2013.

1. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Either of those in that "darker green" calf would be a killer.. Darker burnishing for the toe in a real deep green. Really like those models.

2. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Only 8 pairs out of 20 left.

Sizes UK6 -- UK6.5 -- UK7.5 -- UK8 -- UK10.5 and UK12

Don't miss out if you are on the fence. They will go quick.

And remember that the patina can be what you want, not only what you see (these are just examples).

-Justin

Last edited: May 12, 2015

3. The Shoe Snob

Some MTO Food for Thought..... just a few bits that I am doing for the Japanese market. Always nice to make things for others that I can visually utilize to understand how something would come up in another colorway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. The Shoe Snob

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Love the burgundy boots.

6. lartiste

lartiste Senior member

Justin

I would like to provide you short feedback regarding my first purchase of J. Fitzpatrickfootwear, Fauntleroy monks.

First of all I want to mention your online boutique which seems to be pretty good. I really like the photos and the product description. If you want to improve it I would recommend to mention width of the shoes in product description, since it is not mentioned on your webpage, but is known since is mentioned on the shoe box. And may be you can follow Carmina which enables customers to click directly on shoes trees (and metal toe cap) as an accessory and you do not have to search the webpage to find it out. Also I would be glad if such function would enable to click matching polish and wax, since sometimes I am really unsure in respect of matching shade.

Second I would like to mention the delivery time and communication. It was pretty good. Product available for courier to be picked up within 24 hours, picked up within another 24 hours and delivered within another 24 hours. I really appreciate this. What was just confusing for me regarding the communication was the fact that in email concerning order summary, it was mentioned that purchased shoe trees are size 44 (UK 9 - 9.5) but I purchased size 10 (EU 44). I was afraid, that the shoe trees shall not fit. At the end of the day I found enclosed shoe trees size 45 which probably fits better into the shoes. Many thanks for that, but I would like to ask you how is it with shoe trees sizing. Whether it is better to purchase size up shoe trees or whether there is any difference regarding sizing. I mean in general size 44 EU is 10 UK and not 9 or 9.5).

Third - delivery. The products were well packed. I really appreciate it. I like the red box and red dust bags.

Fourth – first impression. For me the shoes seem to be perfect (with minor issues mentioned hereinunder) and I would like to mention, that you are among leading designers from my point of view. I really like the design and the material. There are, two minor issues regarding the shoes. The main is, that the buckle seems to be very stiff and due to my higher instep it was a bit tricky to fasten it. In fact I scratched a bit the strap. I will try to repair with black polish and wax…. . The second issue is place where upper part of the shoes is stitched to the sole – just above the heel. On one hand it has been done pretty good in comparison with e.g. Church’s but in my opinion you are in competition with premium brands.

Hope my notes shall help you to improve your business. I am for years fan of your blog, appreciate your work and hope purchase another pair soon.

7. The Shoe Snob

Thank you very much for your feedback and even more so for your support in our products. I do appreciate you sharing your thoughts and will take them all on board as they are important to making the brand the best that it can be.

For the online site, these are all valid points and will work with my webguy to implement them. Sometimes the platform that one builds the website on is limiting though and without spending a lot more money (on a new platform), some things cannot be done. But I believe that what you say is right and will also help to increase accessory sales so would definitely be in my interest (and that of the customer) to have taken into account and implemented if possible.

Glad that the shoes arrived in a timely manner.

As per the shoe trees, well these are a bit of a tricky thing. My supplier is quite funny in their sizing and the larger sizes seem to run more narrow than the smaller sizes (which I briefly explain in the "Facts" section of the product). I shall write more in-depth on this as not to confuse. Yes EU44 is usually a UK10, but not in my shoe trees. That is why I list the sizes in the drop down box and for those that buy my shoes in UK10, should take the EU45 shoe tree as it will fit better. I personally see each order and adjust them to make sure that the customer gets what is best.

Thank you, glad to hear this.

Yes, I am working on sourcing new buckles and actually just received them. I need to put them on some samples and see how they work. Also as I use leather (and not elastic), it makes the buckles a bit more rigid. But I prefer to use leather as the elastic is very ugly when it starts to fray and makes the shoes look cheap. Like all leather, once you have worn them a few times, you will notice that it will become easier to fasten.

The welt stitching is something that I have been working on and has gotten better over the years. I am not sure if your shoes where from last years batch or the new ones. If they did not have the new J.FitzPatrick sole stamp on them, then they would have been the old ones and this is why it might still seem substandard (in comparison to now). But one cannot expect them to be more than what they sell for. My shoes cannot be compared to the likes of Weston, G&G, EG etc....

Nonetheless, I really do appreciate all of your points and even more so your long term support in not only the blog, but also now in our footwear. It means a lot and I hope that you enjoy your shoes for many years to come.

Thanks again,

Justin

8. The Shoe Snob

Last edited: May 29, 2015

9. Sartorium

Sartorium Well-Known Member

Hi Justin,

I really love the patinas you've put on those shoes. I am curious what the chances are that we will get them on your Laurelhursts at some time in the future. I think it's a perfect shoe for a bit of funky colouring for the summer and I'd snap up a pair with a patina immediately.

Thanks for your time

10. The Shoe Snob

Thank you!

To be honest, I am quite skeptical about using the Laurelhurst as it is my trickiest shoe to fit and when doing the collaboration, it makes the shoes non-refundable so would hate to run into a bunch of complications with people ordering the wrong size and then want to return their shoes. So, therefore, I am on the fence about it and am leaning towards not doing so. But one could always order the Laurelhurst in white and have it sent to Alexander by himself...

11. charvey

charvey Member

I got these Black Magnolia Cap Toe n February. They are my "go to" shoes. I love the way they look and wear them once or twice a week.[​IMG][​IMG]

Just thought I would share :)

12. lartiste

lartiste Senior member

Quote: My mistake, sorry, I did not read the description regarding the shoe trees, I was not aware, that it is necessary :). Next time, I will read even the description of the shoe trees ;). Good to know. And many thanks, that you personally take care, I really appreciate it.

Quote: It was a bit tricky at first due to my high instep, but have to say better each time I wear them. Really like them.

There is no out sole stamp, but insole is present. I am not sure which you mean.

Regarding the stitching. Do not underestimate your shoes. They are really good and the stitching is better than in case e.g. Prada or Church’s Lamport which I consider to purchase in past (they costs about £ 800 and the stitching was really awful). This point just reminds me your article The Downfall of Church’s Shoes. Very helpful when I was considering the purchase. And your shoes as such are superior to Prada, Church’s etc.

I support you and hope you will succeed. I think at the end of tha day the competition shall be a bit stiff since in respect of price you are close to Carmina, Enzo Bonafé and Vass. But still your design seems to be great and the ideas like cooperation with DANDY shoe care are great!

All the best

Jan

13. lartiste

lartiste Senior member

Very nice shoes, congratulation!

14. The Shoe Snob

Dear Jan,

Thank you for all of your kind words, I do appreciate them as well as all of your support. I do hope that you enjoy your Fauntleroy's for many years to come and am happy to know that you wish to continue supporting the brand. With loyal clients like you that competition won't be so stiff forever! ;-)

Justin

15. The Shoe Snob