J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by culverwood, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Interesting shade of brown. It looks more like a dark oak than on the Snob's website. The area around the creases appear to be lightening, nothing a cream polish can't fix I would imagine. They have been worn for some time I presume? Do you wear the same size as your other shoes (any other UK brands and lasts)? Reason I ask is I've been looking at the same model... Thanks.

2. Trqmaster

Trqmaster Senior member

The shoe actually comes in the darker color near the toe. I lightened the vamp to get some contrast. I have worn them about 2-3 days a week for almost 6 months. Justin does sell a dark brown cream polish to keep the whole shoe dark brown if you want. I wear a us13/uk12. For me, almost all brands only come in whole sizes and while a us12.5 may fit better in various brands, they aren't usually an option. So I always order a us13 or whatever the manufacturer recommends by their sizing chart in the equivalent uk size and use a thin insole if they are roomy. In this case, they were roomy but after the insole, fit perfect. If you have a high instep, you probably wouldn't need an insole. I have a low instep.

As for the light creases, I think that is just the flexed areas losing the polish as they bend. Here is a pic before I wore them after polishing. Not as noticeable in person.

I love these shoes! Super comfortable and they broke in very quickly. Justin also offers toe taps at a great price off his site. You should pick up a pair! I just ordered another pair of shoes from him. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

I just did and my wallet just got very, very much lighter.. didn't do the toe taps just in case it needs to be returned. Maybe in future if it ever needs to be rebuilt. How much are toe taps usually?

Hopefully they fit me better, my instep is pretty much close to 'normal' if there is such a thing but definitely not high (most lacings on my oxfords close well with wear). This hobby is very dangerous - much like photography. But you can never have too many pairs of shoes!

Well done on your purchase and if there is a sign of this shoe's popularity, I've seen more sizes being sold out in just the last two days!!! Which new shoe did you get? One of the specials?

4. Trqmaster

Trqmaster Senior member

Toe taps where I am are $60 and Justin is charging $25. I got the same shoe but in burgundy. The denim one is great with jeans but not with slacks/suits and I don't have any burgundy shoes. I love these boots and figured the burgundy ones could be dressed up or down.

I have a friend who is into photography and once he picked up a dslr, it was definitely downhill. Lenses, tripods, wireless flashes, lighting, photo editing, etc. A full frame camera later, he started drooling over Leicas. Slippery slope!

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Terrific boots @Trqmaster

6. Trqmaster

Trqmaster Senior member

Thanks RogerP! [​IMG]
    I'm just scratching the surface, aspiring to one day enjoy such an expansive and wonderful collection like yours!

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

W

Well you're off to a stylish start.

8. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

What an MTO of our Magnolia model looks like on the MGF last in Shaded Merlot. #nofilter

And by the way, I listened to many of you and made one of my models in this color, on this last, but it is not the Magnolia.... will show soon!

[​IMG]

9. Trqmaster

Trqmaster Senior member

Love the Shaded Merlot color!

Maiden voyage.

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the assistance Justin! Personal phone calls from the owner of a company? Wow! Your customer service is second to none!! Love the boots.

Something I thought was interesting was the shipping used before was DHL. They dropped off my box and billed me duties about a month later using a card in the mail. This time, using UPS, they wanted COD with a check only. It would have been nice if they mentioned something on their website about that. Who uses checks anymore? (Shipping to U.S.A.)

10. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for your feedback on this. We are going to look into it. All of this is out of our hands however, as these charges have to do with Custom's Duties and is not something that we are apart of, nor will we know how/when one of the couriers will or will not charge a customer....unfortunately this is not something we can predict. We do mention that all customers are liable for any duties charges (which these types of things are), but we do not know how each courier service carries out that charge. Of course, the UPS scenario seems a bit strange and we will ask about it to UPS but I am afraid we cannot do so much on it but hopefully be able to forewarn people... Glad that you are enjoying the boots nonetheless! And thanks for the kind words Justin

11. Trqmaster

Trqmaster Senior member

Not blaming you. UPS just surprised me at the door with a request for a check and they wouldn't accept credit. Hopefully this will help others.

12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

So what's the alternative? Do they drop your package off at your local UPS office, and you can pay by CC there? Is there an option online to pay for duties and handling, before the package makes it to your door? I don't use checks, and have wondered what happens in these instances...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  13. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

In Canada, this happens all the time. I've had to write checks to UPS, Fedex & DHL/Loomis. They don't want their drivers handling $, and they don't accept CC (unless I'm mistaken, but I've never had the option of CC).

Yes, you'd have to go pick it up at the depot and can likely pay there with CC, debit, cash.

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Again, among the many reasons I avoid couriers when at all possible. When I can't avoid them (or when the vendor ships that way contrary to my instructions - sigh) I call up FedEx / UPS and give them a CC number over the phone to cover duties / taxes, so the driver is free to deliver without collecting.

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

UPS let me know this is always an option, so it's the one i will be taking in the future, call them with my CC info... :nodding: