J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by culverwood, Apr 12, 2013.

1. andrel42

andrel42 Senior member

I can sense the blue pair are already mine [​IMG]

2. WhereNext

WhereNext Senior member

I don't think the two-tones look good: the velvet is just too far down the upper (towards the toe) to my eye. I dig the blue ones, though!

3. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

What do I think? I think I will take a pair of each in 10.5!

4. tomrakewell

tomrakewell Senior member

This is a difficult one for me. I love the midnight blue leather. And I also dig the suede/calf combo in terms of material and colours, BUT I do not like the style. It is somewhere inbetween a wimgtip, a royal, and a semi ... Doesn't do it for me and I would pass on both in this makeup, I'm afraid..

5. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

Justin, is it possible to do a group MTO and avoid the surcharge, as other shoemakers do?

6. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Yes it is indeed.

There would be a 6 pair minimum and turnaround time would be 3-4 months. A non-refundable 50% deposit would be required by all members before the order would be placed.

Let me know if I can help further.

Justin

7. The Shoe Snob

8. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

Still a decent selection of sizes available. Anybody have any sizing advice for the Ravenna? I'm 11.5D in Allen Edmonds's Randolph and Grayson loafers. Looks like the Ravenna is on the most generous J. Fitz last, so would I be safe if I ordered 10.5 UK?

9. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I have a pair Ravenna shoes, I am size 9 UK and the shoe is true to the English size.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015

10. CGKIII

CGKIII Well-Known Member

I picked up the burgundy Laurelhursts shop-samples, a shoe I'd been on the fence for for a while. I'd been looking for a burgundy loafer with at least a toe medallion to fill in a bit between my black and bourbon AE Sapienzas. I sized down to 7 UK and that was a good idea. The fit is okay. Since they're a similar to a slipper (and maybe because they were shop samples), having my orthotic inserts in almost has me walking out of them. Without the inserts, they're just a wee bit loose, but definitely acceptable for my purposes. I think these will be my go-to airport shoes.

After making my last post, someone snatched up the Greenwoods in blue and black suede in the size I wanted. I contacted Justin about it and he's making an extra pair of black ones for me at the standard rate, since that style won't be coming back again. I just needed to put down a deposit and I'll be waiting a couple months. As for the blues, I was able to find my size and order from Leatherfoot in Canada. They have some select styles on sale, and with current exchange rates these were definitely a steal.

The Greenwoods fit perfectly and lace up quite well. Compared to my brogue suede AE Strands, they're just a bit sleeker. The eyelets are curved, the broguing is a little bit less intense, and the upper is more prominent. I'm really looking forward to my black ones.

11. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

What size AE Strand do you wear? How does the fit compare to the Strand, specifically in the heel, instep and ball of the foot. Will help many determine their Fitzpatrick fit in that last. Thanks

12. CGKIII

CGKIII Well-Known Member

I get an 8D on the 65 last (Strand, McAllister, etc), which usually starts out with a bit of a lacing gap that gets more reasonable over time, but my instep is pushed up due to the orthotic inserts I wear. I think I have one or two 8E's based on sale/2nd availability and I don't notice a material difference. These Walnut Strands have been worn maybe...4ish times? I tightened until they were snug but not uncomfortable. If I were wearing these throughout the day I'd lace them a bit tighter upfront and then tighten them up again around lunch to work on narrowing the gap. Not convinced on the laces yet.

The Greenwood is a UK 7. Heel they feel the same. Around the ball of the foot the Greenwood is ever-so-slightly looser. They lace closed, as you can see in picture, which is pretty much perfect, possibly a tiny bit loose given that I haven't worn these for any serious length of time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Cham

Cham New Member

I made good use of the shop stock sale to purchase 2 pairs of J Fitzpatrick shoes. The Tony II arrived a couple of weeks ago and the Laurelhurst just today.

Tony II in antique brown
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Laurelhurst in burgundy

[​IMG]

I apologize for the less than stellar picture quality, I only have an iPhone available. I'll try to post better pictures in daylight in a couple of weeks.

Both are true to size (11 UK in my case, just like my C&J's and Cheaney's). The laurelhurst is noticeably tighter which is to be expected for a slip-on, I suppose it will also get a bit looser with wear. They offer more arch support than my other shoes which was a nice surprise.
    The laurelhurst is a tad darker than I expected from the pictures on the website, although honestly I prefer it that way. I had my doubts about the colour and wanted to purchase a Wallingford in burgundy instead but someone beat me to it. The 33% discount is what finally convinced me to take a chance.

I especially want to thank Justin for his exemplary customer service. I had a question about which polish to purchase, I thought that the Merlot would be too dark (it isn't). Yesterday I received a phone call from Justin to answer my question so that he could send out the order. Today I already received my shoes including polish. This is just one example; he also patiently answered my questions about shoe care in the past.

14. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Perfect summary, thanks!

15. The Shoe Snob