1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by culverwood, Apr 12, 2013.

1. borbor

borbor Senior member

@Handmadeshoes justin those montlake and the denim oxfords are incredible

2. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thank you very much, that is very kind of you to say!

3. birdistheword

birdistheword Member

If anyone is willing to proxy I'd definitely be interested in Justin's shoes, size 9.5E. Keep me in mind! Thanks

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

My sample sale pick. The pictures don't do them justice, but I foresee these getting a lot of wear, they're just so versatile. Thank you for helping me out, Justin!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

6. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

Just for a heads up, Justin has some beautiful shoes in the sample sale, I was tempted by some lovely chukkas but alas couldn't say no to a perfect fitting pair of Hatch grain lace ups at GG in the next room. Would have bought both if possible but not today...
    Thanks Justin it was a fine time had by all I think ;)
    Cheers to you even though I had to pass on this occasion

7. tomrakewell

tomrakewell Senior member

This is what I managed to get from Justin yesterday. Thanks, Justin. It was great to meet you again ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Those double monks are slick. Nice choice.

9. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

10. The Shoe Snob

My pleasure Yannick! Good to see you again and thanks as always for all of your support!

Don't worry I understand my friend. G&G is a hot catch and I know that most would jump at the chance at getting theirs at the prices they were selling at. Enjoy your new shoes and maybe the next time around we can see you in a pair of JFP's ;-)

Likewise! Thanks for your support and enjoy your new shoes!

11. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

12. tomrakewell

tomrakewell Senior member

I'm afraid it was. Slight blemish, hardly noticeable when worn. Really glad I went on Thursday morning ...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  13. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Just sent him an email.. Hopefully he has a pair (or two) for me.

14. Adamjonzey

Adamjonzey Well-Known Member

I have been a ghost reader on this blog for a number of year but never actually posted. I think it's because I have never really had anything worthwhile to say that hasn't already been said or discussed 100 times before. However reading through this thread the other week I thought it would be good to post my own personal review of Justin Fitzpatrick shoes. I am not going to write about the design or last shapes because this has already been discussed but I wanted to talk about the quality, as I know some will have reservations, especially as they are not made by a "known" factory.

There have been many comments about Justin's shoes some good some bad but one of the issues with a new brand, especially in higher end mens footwear it how they wear and last. Which is why I wanted to write this review..

I have 2 pairs, a Wallingford which I purchased pretty much from launch. Also a brown suede greenwood which I purchased about 6 months ago.

I have to say first I have met justin on many many occasions and do love just popping by to have a chat and a nose at the collection (it's a bit harder now he is at T.E but not impossible) but I will put all personal opinions (they are good ones!) aside for this post.

My Wallingfords are looking great 1 year on. Now I have to be the first to admit.. I bought the wrong size for my taste now. I used to like my shoes not so tight. And loved wearing the likes of C&J for fit. I now tend to prefer a much tighter narrower fit. (More on sizing later) so the look of the worn shoe with the deep creasing is not reflective of the quality. I also have a fairly shallow toe area, but a normal-ish instep/ lacing area which leaves a lot of space above the toes creating more deep creasing. This is not anything to do with the quality of these shoes, my C&J ones are exactly the same.

The leather of the shoes has held up wonderfully, and is rather supple, and has been comftable from day one. The leather also takes a shine beautifully and even in a short number of polishes starts taking a lovely patina, much sooner than other brands in this pricing.

I am also going to mention one other thing that no one else seems to. The sole. The soles on these shoes really last. I have worn these once a week for nearly a year and they are still barley worn and the toe area which I normally need tips for had hardly worn down at all. I anticipate thse soles outlasting many many others. My cheaney Made jeffery west needed re soling after 18 months of similar wear. On that point j.west and standard cheaney shoes maybe uk made and slightly lower price but some of the finishing in places is just not at as high standard as Justin's. They have poor heel finishing, some loose stitches and some unsightly leather wrinkles even though they do it on lasted trees

I mentioned sizing. Well I recently bought another pair as shown below. Suede greenwoods. I sized down to a 8 on these and they are perfect. Took a little longer to break in but they fit like a dream. My advice- if you wear C&J, cheaney, loake barker. Stick with that size. If you like the fit on g&g and edward green (cannot comment on lobb I have none.) size down.

I think it's only fair to add some cons to the mix. In both pairs the sock has started coming away. I think the glue to hold them in must not be that strong. I have had this with one pair of crocketts in the past, it's probably to do with how I take them off. But still a niggle. The other is I do wish on my Wallingfords the welt was slightly tighter. Slightly closer would look much better, and more elegant. I don't notice this on my suede greenwoods however.

On a more personal option on the brand I am a big fan. Yes it would be nice if they was made in England, not from a quality issue but from a personal liking of supporting English manufacturing. But that is never going to stop be buying Justin's shoes. I walk into some stores now and although some that are catching up there is not a brand that is constantly pushing new options for shoe lovers (Outside the ££££ price bracket) I hope to add more to my closet in years to come. I love the loafers, both options and the new brogue on the chisel last which I expect to be the next acquisitions when I can.

Not everyone is going to be a fan of the models, ( the same goes for all companies, that's why we get a choice) but if you are but you worried about investing in the "unknown" I hope my first post has been useful in showing the quality in the long term.

6 people like this.
  15. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Adam

Not many first posts are as articulate as yours.

Welcome.

16. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Thanks for the review Adam - enjoyable and informative.

17. The Shoe Snob

18. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

what's the size conversion from US sizing - one full size down ?
    I'm normally a 9.5 or 10.0 E in G&G loafers as an example

19. The Shoe Snob

I am half size off from G&G and yes, one size down from US. For example, if you are US10, then you would take my UK9. And if you are a UK10E in G&G, then you would be my UK9.5

20. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Hi Justin,
    The Merlot Tony model is unless my eyes totally deceive me, green in the picture! What colour is the shoe that's for sale?

Thanks,
    OJ