• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. d. erickson article on clothing manufacturers

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Pretty much everything that he says would be well-known by anyone who's read the Style Forum for a couple months.

dan

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed that most of this info is available from a thorough forum read, but it's nice it's all in one place, even if I differ with some choices.

Also wonder where he's changing his money, I gotta go there. About Pink shirts:

Their standard "black-label" shirt is $125 (but only £59"”about $85"”if you buy it in the UK).

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to email him and let him know about our forum. He'd fit in well, and I think its good to have more people here who are in the 'industry'. Anyone have anything against that?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to email him and let him know about our forum. Â He'd fit in well, and I think its good to have more people here who are in the 'industry'. Â Anyone have anything against that?
No objections, although i think aybojs already has. Â See the second page of this thread: earlier erickson thread dan

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I'm interested that he included Brooks and Pink in his list of fine shirt makers. I'm surprised that his tie reviews were of Hermes and Ferragamo. And in light of discussion here and on Ask Andy, flabbergasted that he says of Church's
The quintessential bench made English shoe. If you want the definitive classic well-made shoes, this is what you buy.
No mention of C&J.

It was an interesting and informative read, however.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think John limited his review to brands he had personal experience with, as he should. Also, it was written some time ago, so not all information will be 100% current.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
http://www.jderickson.com/clothing/modestproposal.html
smile.gif
Â
biggrin.gif
We can only hope...

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brian SD

Reaction score
(STYLESTUDENT @ 14 Sep. 2004, 07:48) Here's another perspective on clothing manufacturers and quality. [URL]http://www.jderickson.com/clothing/makers.html
Not to be snippy, but I believe some of our more celebrated board members here could write a more comprehensive and detailed article. koji
ditto. Someone should publish a "Best of the Style Forum" book, and compile all of the really useful or informative threads into one easy-to-use, super-convenient package (and then charge $49.99 a copy).

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Scary, Brian, had sort of the same idea about 10 days ago:

Posted: 04 Sep. 2004, 11:24    

Or we could co-op a Style Forum edition and sell shares. I've done a pro-forma for a couple of companies figuring sales of 10,000 over 2 years, which is pretty conservative. It could be a big financial success at that number. Anyone interested before I approach more corporations?

Just dreaming at this stage...

Edited by Steve B. on 04 Sep. 2004, 11:28

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Also, after reading Mr. Erickson's web site, I think it's a fine effort. I know it could be better, but so could anything- certainly my book, and even Dressing the Man. It takes courage to put oneself out there in creative endeavors, and I think the young man should be commended for his effort.

If any of you want to write similarly, contact me. Bruce Boyer, Bernhard Roetzel, and Alan Flusser will be retiring one of these days. Never hurts to have some new blood in the mix.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do like his website, especially his essays. It also makes me want to work at a Louis Boston.
smile.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The correlliani jackets used in Polo (regular) are not canvassed front? do they have canvassed lapels? are they the same as the trend series then?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads