• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Crew's lofty shirt claim??

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The best-kept secret in town: a very influential Italian house recommends our tailored-fit shirts to its suiting clients
Kiton?
smile.gif

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a couple of the J Crew dress shirts, fit and quality seem decent enough. Definitely better than what I've seen of CT, fit on those is just weird. I like Thomas Pink but hate the price. Need to get off my butt and go MTM really.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MORNINGSTAR777
It's odd to me that some here (not most) will embrace H&M or Zara, when these J. Crew shirts are clearly the better value. Where do most forum members go for basic shirts? I mean, I can't imagine that most members here spend over $100+ for every shirt in their closet.

I don't know why you'd say that J. Crew are "clearly" the better value than H&M or Zara. Fit is individual and subjective, but a huge part of value. J. Crew's fabrics aren't much better, and their buttons suck for the most part.

As for where I go for cheap basic shirts, mostly Neiman Marcus Last Call. Over Labor Day weekend I bought a couple of patterned Loro Piana shirts an a white Ike Behar with a ~80deg spread collar (and a real one with MOP buttons and nice construction, not the diffusion line Ike Behars normally found at NMLC) that were each between $30 and $60. They fit very well after alteration (great collar/shoulder fit) and were clearly the better value.

Also, I'll often stop by Dillard's during sales season, because sometimes they mark their better Polo stuff (MOP buttons, no logo) down 90%. Those shirts are also clearly better than J. Crew's in terms of fabrics, sewing, and hardware, though at double the MSRP they also should be.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd say most of my J. Crew shirts have been much better than the ones I've bought at H&M. The latter tend to pill and start looking old pretty quickly. I've had J. Crew shirts wear out at the elbows, but I can't remember having to junk one because it started looking prematurely tatty.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few j crew shirts that I bought off the sales rack vs my better judgement. The collars are small and wimpy and the shirts generally look like garbage. No value to be had here. The H&M ive seen look even worse.

dl

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
I have a few j crew shirts that I bought off the sales rack vs my better judgement. The collars are small and wimpy and the shirts generally look like garbage. No value to be had here. The H&M ive seen look even worse.

The collars don't bother me, but I can't stand the skimpiness on the length. I gave them a skip for a long time, but they've had some new cuts lately that fit me pretty well. Some nicely heavy cloths, too. Fine at $20 or less.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The collars don't bother me, but I can't stand the skimpiness on the length. I gave them a skip for a long time, but they've had some new cuts lately that fit me pretty well. Some nicely heavy cloths, too. Fine at $20 or less.

I think the J Crew stuff this season is better. It never fit me before and now it does, and if anything I've lost some weight.

Happydayz

Reaction score
for the $75 that JCrew is asking I can get a high quality MTM shirt from mytailor.com

So no, I think I'll pass on whatever "Italian house" recommendation that they are getting

hotspur

Reaction score
This is all bs. First it was slim fit. Now it is tailored slim fit. Every time I order another shirt to see how it fits, and it's always way too unfitted. These shirts don't fit well at all.

Banana Republic, on the other hand, almost has the fit right. Their material feels like **** though, and their sleeves are too narrow to roll up over my elbow.

extempore

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hotspur
This is all bs. First it was slim fit. Now it is tailored slim fit. Every time I order another shirt to see how it fits, and it's always way too unfitted. These shirts don't fit well at all.

Banana Republic, on the other hand, almost has the fit right. Their material feels like **** though, and their sleeves are too narrow to roll up over my elbow.

J Crew shirts are loose on you? My friend, you need to hit a gym.

And you roll your sleeves above your elbow?
eh.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like J.Crew shirts and have several of them. I particularly like the way the bd collars look.

However, I find that their sizing to be inconsistent. I try on everyone I purchase because I find the neck size, sleeve length, and fullness to often vary.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the copywriter's mother is Italian, and he lives at home.

It's a variation on the classic billboard, 'The Owner Highly Recommends This Motel."

Larger point, already noted, is that J Crew shirts fit more closely than the used to.

I like the styling of the line. Almost everything is wearable and the store presentation is great.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by extempore
Whoa! That's pretty darned impressive, no?
Not so much, really. Loro Piana is both a clothing house and a fabric house. Last year J Crew was touting cashmere sweaters that were made with Loro Piana cloth. So one hand may be washing the other.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads