• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew X REDWINGS

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
topcatny, can you post some pics when they arrive so that we can see what they look like being worn?
Sorry I don't have worn pix, as they sent me the wrong size (9.5 rather than 9), but here is my Hickory-colored ones (Sorry also for the indoor pix, it's almost 2am here)
redwing1.jpg
redwing2.jpg
Upon arrival, the "Hickory" is more of a dirty light brown than the tan on the website. Darker, but not as dark and contrasty as Zappos makes out Red Wings' equivalent model to be (The J. Crew "Hickory" is a modified sole on Red Wing's "copper rough & tough" 875, visible on Zappos here). As for fit, they definitely run a bit long (even with a sized up pair I could tell that the right size will be roomy) and slightly narrow, but this has always been my experience with 875. I don't mind the extra space because, for what is ostensibly a winter boot, there isn't much insulation (it's just the inside of the uppers in there) and the footbed is pretty spartan. I plan to wear them with thick socks and a nice fat insole. Profile-wise, they're serious business, not some dainty pointed chelsea boot. Personally, I wouldn't want to wear them with jeans skinnier than 8.5" across, but YMMV.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to taking pics of these. I ordered a size 12 and a 13 both in the dark wood color. I ended up going with the size 12. The 13 was just too long. I am wearing them today for the first time. The toe box is a tad narrow but I think they'll be just fine after I break them in a bit. I do like that there isn't any J Crew branding anywhere on the boots. They come in a Red Wing box and the only branding is the Red Wing logo on the ankle.

Here is a pic of me wearing them and a close up.

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Nice, now they are showing the dark ones as on backorder until December....

I usually wear between a 9 and 9.5....do these run big enough to fit an 8.5?

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Anyone have anymore pics of these being worn? I'm trying to decide on a pair of these or a pair of Alden Indys....seeing as I can't try the Redwings on before buying them (not in stores), its a hard choice....

Pressfan

Reaction score
The J. Crew website now indicates that the Red Wings are available in selected stores.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
I want a pair but the best discount you can do at J Crew is free shipping
frown.gif

They will occasionally offer 20% or $25 off orders, fyi, but then you'd still have to pay shipping.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ What robin said. And with their bizarre ladder S/H calculation, costs should come out the same either way.

There are a handful of pairs on eBay right now though. They are current season I believe (which means they were indeed the J. Crew x Red Wings collab, not the "vintage work boot" imitation J.Crew churned out last year).

ryn

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how big these run? I'm trying to decide which size I need before I pick some up on ebay.

Eagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryn
Can someone tell me how big these run? I'm trying to decide which size I need before I pick some up on ebay.

Many buyers report finding them to run about a half size larger than marked. However, in my experience, Redwings have run true to size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads