• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew White Oaks Selvedge Review

Tuco

Reaction score
Thanks for the review, have been thinking about burning a gift card on these. Can you put up any pics? Even crappy phone pics would be cool, curious how they start to wear.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pablo-T
FWIW, Levi's didn't make any denim clothing before they produced the XX; they were strictly a dry goods outfit. Your first claim was correct.
Hmm, then it would seem that the article I had read that stated that LS was selling denim work pants since the mid 1800's was not correct?

zack- I was quite likely nitpicking too much in my responses, so I do apologize.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tuco
Thanks for the review, have been thinking about burning a gift card on these. Can you put up any pics? Even crappy phone pics would be cool, curious how they start to wear.
They probably start to wear like any other pair of Cone selvage Levi's. It all looks very, very similar. Just google.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
They probably start to wear like any other pair of Cone selvage Levi's. It all looks very, very similar.

Just google.

The 47, 44, 55 and 66 denim all look very different once soaked, and probably even more so six months in (the 1800s versions are generally similar).

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Hmm, then it would seem that the article I had read that stated that LS was selling denim work pants since the mid 1800's was not correct?

zack- I was quite likely nitpicking too much in my responses, so I do apologize.

TO err is human, to apologise divine.

The number of errors in articles on early Levi's is probabyl beyond counting. At lot of mistakes are Levi's own ones, from two decades ago, which seem perpetuated. That particular error isn't on wikipedia, but much of their Levi's entry is complete nonsense.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
The 47, 44, 55 and 66 denim all look very different once soaked, and probably even more so six months in (the 1800s versions are generally similar).
Unless I'm mistaken, this pair isn't a repro.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Unless I'm mistaken, this pair isn't a repro.
THey're a generic 501; so the question is which Cone denim it is. It could fade brilliantly, like the 55 or 44, or it could look like crap - this might have some bearing on whether they're decent pants or not.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Betterthanyou
Is everyone on this board in the possession of XX chromosomes?

Oh! I get it! XX chromosomes means women! And women means menstrual cycle, which means you're implying we're on our period! And that's why we're grouchy! Because if a woman is grouchy she must be PMS-ing!

Oh you, such wit!

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
THey're a generic 501; so the question is which Cone denim it is. It could fade brilliantly, like the 55 or 44, or it could look like crap - this might have some bearing on whether they're decent pants or not.
The latter was kind of my point. There's a reason why they're able to be so heavily discounted. Having seen the kind of denim Levi's uses for "regular" stuff like this and for all the repros in person, I don't think it's much of a leap to guess which is the case here. Also, it was more of a comment on the countless other brands that also use white oak and at the end of the day sort of blend together in a haze.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Also, it was more of a comment on the countless other brands that also use white oak and at the end of the day sort of blend together in a haze.
I think Leiv's have a near-monoply on denim that's developed for LVC etc, which is why most other non-LEvi's Cone you see is similar, or non loomstate. With a decent sized run they could afford to spec denim as good as LVC. Whether they would is another matter, and of course the fact thay're rinsed adds to the cost, which means less $$$ goes on other materials. I wouldn't touch them because I wouldn't want to take a punt on the cut, but I'd still like to see how the denim comes out.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srgprod
Yeah. If the title of this thread was Roy's Cone Mill Denim review you guys would be all over it and patting each other on the back for being so cool. But because J Crew / Levis doesn't win the SF sniff test, it attracts a ton of negativity.

There's nothing cool about wearing jeans with "ROY" on the patch.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srgprod
Yeah. If the title of this thread was Roy's Cone Mill Denim review you guys would be all over it and patting each other on the back for being so cool. But because J Crew / Levis doesn't win the SF sniff test, it attracts a ton of negativity.
Where you've been man, his recent thread was pure diarrhea...

Originally Posted by Stylin-1
There's nothing cool about wearing jeans with "ROY" on the patch.
+1, only thing that's holding me back
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads