• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew vs. Lands End and LLBean

gymman

Reaction score
I'm seeing some nice shirts from all three brands. Which is better for nicely fitted clothes?

I've given up baggy clothing, but don't want anything that is very restrictive, either. I am talking about lands end canvas division and the signature line of llbean. Are J Crew shirts very fitted also?

I'm looking for the best value and quality among the three.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J crew has a "slim fit" version of some of their shirts online. If you email "Jack" at J Crew and ask for measurements of a particular shirt, you will get a response with detailed measurements of the garment. I have never tried on the slim fit shirts so I can't say if they are really what they advertise as. I do own some regular J crew tailored stuff and a LE Canvas chambray shirt and they fit pretty similar. For shirts I plan to tuck in I would get the back darted for $10-$15 at a local tailor.

If you want super fitted stuff you are going to look for Band of Outsiders, Gitman Vintage, Gant Rugger "Hugger" shirts, etc. Epaulet also makes some very nice shirts, I own 2 so far. Of course the super fitted stuff ranges in the $100 and up which may not be a bad value if you plan to only own a few and wear them a lot.

gymman

Reaction score
I'm looking for slimmer fitting shirts and pants, but don't want anything in the "skinny" category. It sounds like the j crew slim fit items may be worth a try.

mmmmpay

Reaction score
In my experience, J Crew generally runs smaller than L L Bean. I've no experience with Lands End, though their Canvas line supposedly runs slimmer. Same goes for L L Bean's Signature line. A small at J Crew fits me well enough, but nothing sold on the L L Bean regular line fits me in any reasonable way. In addition to being quite wide, L L Bean shirts run long. I've also begun to notice a fair bit of variation within a given size range of J Crew shirts.

changed

Reaction score
You can always buy the cheaper shirts at any of these stores and have them tailored for a fraction of the cost of the more expensive brands listed above...

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skip Lands End Canvas...I bought some stuff instead of J Crew and the quality was really not good at all in my opinion. Almost like an Old Navy shirt. J Crew is much better if you want cheap, good clothing.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarksdb
Skip Lands End Canvas...I bought some stuff instead of J Crew and the quality was really not good at all in my opinion. Almost like an Old Navy shirt. J Crew is much better if you want cheap, good clothing.

You can get Landsend canvas much cheaper then you can Jcrew. I've bought a number of items (couple pairs of pants, shorts, and some belts) that were inexpensive that have been good quality and have held up really well.

gymman

Reaction score
I recall that CR did a study of durability and that Lands End came out as one of the top brands, so I doubt durability or construction quality are issues. With that out of the way, it's more an issue of how their items fit me in particular.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
kind of a bad comparison, jcrew is leagues above both lands end and llbean in terms of quality and fits. as others have pointed out, the stuff from lands end and llbean looks really cheap in comparison and their smallest sizing is tent-like if you have a slim physique. sure jcrew is nothing to rave about but for the price-point the quality is much much better than what you'll get from either of those stores. and the guy who said jcrew isn't fitted doesn't know what he's talking about.

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
kind of a bad comparison, jcrew is leagues above both lands end and llbean in terms of quality and fits. as others have pointed out, the stuff from lands end and llbean looks really cheap in comparison and their smallest sizing is tent-like if you have a slim physique. sure jcrew is nothing to rave about but for the price-point the quality is much much better than what you'll get from either of those stores. and the guy who said jcrew isn't fitted doesn't know what he's talking about.

While I agree in regards to the fit of both Canvas and Signature being huge, I have to strongly disagree with your statement about LL Bean Signature's quality not being near that offered by J. Crew. Some of the pieces I have received from LL Bean Sig have blown away the quality offered by many of my J Crew items. The fit offered by both companies requires that I have everything tailored (being a tall, slim guy), so that barely plays a role in my decision making. Pricing for J Crew and LLB Sig are at about the same level while Canvas is significantly cheaper.

Fit

J Crew > LEC > LLB

Quality

J Crew, LLB >>> LEC

Price

LEC >>> LLB> J Crew

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gymman
I recall that CR did a study of durability and that Lands End came out as one of the top brands, so I doubt durability or construction quality are issues. With that out of the way, it's more an issue of how their items fit me in particular.

I've found that LEC has a tigher fit then Jcrew in some things. In terms of shirts I can fit a Jcrew medium nicely, while I need to size up to a large in LEC. However, the pants I've tried from LEC have either been true to size or sized larger then I would have expected.

gymman

Reaction score
I didn't really see anything that I wanted in the slim fit section of jcrew's site. I have a couple of items on order from canvas.

Hollywars

Reaction score
If you are going to be tailoring, you might as well be getting something nicer like Gitman or Epaulet so you aren't spending more on tailoring than on the actual shirt.

951socal

Reaction score
i prefer hickey freeman in the price range

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads