• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Crew Sutherland jacket

RyanM

Reaction score
I'm thinking of ordering this jacket online, but there are not any J Crews here in Toronto so I've never tried anything on from there. From reading other posts, some people say J Crew fits like a tent while others say they have slimmed down recently.
Does anyone have measurents for this jacket, in a size small, or have tried one on? they have a size chart online but I don't trust those.
I'm a 36" chest, but only maybe 28/29" inch waist; if you can tell me how the fit would compare with banana republic, because everything there is huge on me.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
you will be a small if not an xsmall in j crew. j crew is much slimmer than BR, especially in shirts/jackets. I'm basically a 'perfect' J crew medium with a 41"ish chest and a 32"ish waist (although most things are loose in the wasit).

goodlife

Reaction score
I have actually been picking up a few J Crew items lately and have been pleased, mainly because they always seem to be having some sort of sale. Their tailored items measured by waist of chest seem to fit pretty true to size and are very similar to a lot of RL Polo stuff size wise. I am not as sure about the S,M,L... stuff. I have had to go down a size from M to their S for their sweaters though. If you really like it go for it. Everything comes with a prepaid return sticker. I went to their site, and it said US refunds would be deducted $5.95 for return shipping. Canada is probably a little more. Personally I would hold off a while $368 is a lot for a J Crew coat. All they have going right now is 20% off sale merchandise, but they are bound to have a sale on regular stock coming up again pretty soon. They usually email me, so if something comes up I will post a PSA.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 37" chest and a 30" waist, and I am a JCrew Small. You are probably an XS.

If I'm not mistaken, JCrew has a lifetime warranty on their coats. You bring it back to them at any point with a problem that isn't obviously your fault, and they'll fix or replace it. My one JCrew jacket has held up famously, so I have not had a chance to test this.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
j.crew small fits me nice and slim, but not TOO slim, just enough to give some shape but not so much it looks like i'm wearing girl clothes. i have the same stats as kaxixi.

Lazy Savior

Reaction score
I bought this during the last 20% sale, I'm very pleased with it. I wouldn't describe it as slim fitting, but it doesn't billow out. It tapers in ever-so-slightly at the waist and the sleeves are both wide and a bit long. I think that the length and the very clean(it has a covered placket) look of the front make it look slimmer than it is. That said, it is still a topcoat, and is designed to be able to accomodate another coat or a few layers of sweather under it, and can't be said to fit truly slim

I have a 36ish chest and a 30 waist. I bought a medium, and it fits very nicely IMO.

mrskinny

Reaction score
yes agreed, now all we need is a 20%+ off coupon code.

gdc_2008

Reaction score
I tried this on the other day....its nice, but I'd probably have to buy it a size too big to wear it as a topcoat (over a suit jacket)....which is what I'd likely need it for. Anyone else get the same impression?

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
I like the coat. I've heard good and bad about the quality of J.Crew clothing but I've never had any issues with my coat. I went to the opening of Fight Club the same day I bought my J.Crew University Coat and it's still in great condition. That's been nearly 10 years.

tehdvd

Reaction score
too bad they're sold out of small size
frown.gif

mrskinny

Reaction score
took advantage of the additional up to 30% of sale and picked this baby up asap. should be good

BdeRWest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hadamulletonce
I like the coat. I've heard good and bad about the quality of J.Crew clothing but I've never had any issues with my coat. I went to the opening of Fight Club the same day I bought my J.Crew University Coat and it's still in great condition. That's been nearly 10 years.
Concerning the quality of J. Crew (coats, especially), I bought one of their topcoats two years ago, and the difference between that coat and this one is remarkable. The Sutherland topcoat's wool is much softer, and the Bemberg lining is exquisite. It still comes with a newspaper pocket, and two buttons inside to "store," as it were, the storm tab, which unbuttons from the collar completely. I didn't see if J. Crew mentioned the O.E.M., but if anyone's curious, it's marked as a Yorkshire tweed from the Moon mill. I highly recommend it, especially now that it's on sale.

tehdvd

Reaction score
So how many of you have this coat? Any recommendations on what to wear with it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads